Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Chinese built 400cc triple cylinder cafe racer

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by kols_kebabs, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Yes really.

Hugger_rhs_front.

http://www.ptsmotors.com/

Reminds me very much of the honda CB400f of the 1970's. Including the power figures...

Still, interesting to see a chinese factory build a motorcycle some people in the west would actually want to buy.

If this were a japanese motorcycle, with the support and reliability that implies, it would be top of my want list, excellent design.

2. I like the look of that engine. Sorta mini-Jota. Nothing wrong with the performance of the 400/4 either, and that's a dyed in the wool Honda hater as sez it. If they've made it even half as nice to ride, it's a potential winner.

As noted, there are just the reliability and support issues to contend with.

3. Interestingly, the factory's r&d center is located in Australia.

A number of the photos on the website are clearly of the bike being tested on public roads in Australia.

The website I first found this bike on reported that the engine was originally developed by Australian Ian drysdale, famous for his V8 sports motorcycles

http://home.mira.net/~iwd/

4. LAMS approve it and BAM thousands sold.

5. Designed in Australia too. Read about it in the latest TW magazine.

6. it is nice isnt it? Neat package they have put together there, looks like it would make an excellent learner bike. Give it a few years to see what happens with them...

Hmm, while a second front disc may not be strictly necessary, I'm sure it would not hinder the bike at all. - just saw that it had dedicated room for second front wheel brake caliper and rotor, just going to make you pay for it. bugger.

Soooo, who's going to be the guinea pig?

Edit: designing in Oz is not the right way to start off a cheap, low quality mass production effort. Maybe they intend on giving this a serious go. I hope so.

7. Honestly i'm very tempted i mean i've had a pretty successful run with the sachs (sachsessful hahahaha) and would not at all mind owning another chinese bike. I've found my bike to be nothing but gutless and reliable, which i do not mind in a learner machine!

Depends on the price. And how strong the smell of glue is.

8. is it missing a mirror in that pic?

9. Looks like my old 250 comet.

10. I noticed the similarities for what I can see it's go the same forks and brakes as the hyo.

I looks OK, just all the proportions look wrong, to be honest it's pretty ugly.

11. There was a time when bikes tended to only have one mirror.

I think it's the ideal concept for LAMS myself. would even consider it myself once they have been around for a few years

12. Shame they didn't describe the sound of the thing in the article - has a really aggresive, revvy grumble. Neat stuff.

13. Probably bought in from the same component supplier.

Odd little acoustic fact. No-one has ever produced a triple that doesn't sound sexy as hell, given the right pipe and induction arrangements. Laverda did it best though. The early 180 Jotas can induce orgasm at 50 metres in those of good taste. The (technically superior) 120s just weren't the same.

14. From what I understood of the artical in TW, engine designed in italy and built in china, frame designed and built here as a prototype, chanes are the look of the bike will change to suit the majour markets. Will have to read the mag again to make sure.

Wouldn't mind giveing one a ride :D

15. Designed in Italy......in the 60s maybe.....not much modern about a 5 speed, air-cooled, 2 valve per cylinder engine these days.....a modest 35hp quote too.

The bike at sub $5-6000 pricing would sell plenty in the lams market :)

16. Disclaimer: I get my info from that article in TW, but as I understand it, this is a project started by a couple of Aussies with the idea of creating a cool bike out of Chinese parts. They designed and assembled a prototype in Melbourne, but I think they meant to sell the whole design back to the Chinese once it was done.

The engine comes from ATV produced by PTS Motors... I'm not sure where the 'italian' part comes from; the engine apparently started its life as a couple of CB250 copies cut and put together into a triple.

The frame was designed and build by "Mischief Makers" in Melbourne - bunch of guys who do metalwork. Incidentally, one of these guys is Melanie Pedroux, previously seen on a cover of Two Wheels suspended above a V-Max by metal hooks through her skin. Multi-talented girl! :)

I think this is a very interesting idea and I hope something comes of it... Cheap, simple and (sorta) stylish bikes always have my attention, the fact that Australians are involved in this one is a bonus.

Edit: Now that I had another look at the article, I see the engine is produced by Vento Motorcycles in USA, not by PTS. I still don't see what part of this bike is supposed to be Italian...

Edit 2: No, that doesn't make sense either... the engine is definitely built by the Chinese, that's the whole point. Vento must be American distributors of those ATVs or something? I'm confused now :)

17. Yeah, Mel posts here as well. Craig, who I'm pretty sure would have done most of the welding, measuring cutting etc has done some stuff to my SR in the past, and very shortly in the future as well. Top bloke.

18. Druck me funk! Who was the author?

19. Some late model Ducatis are still aircooled 2-valve engines.
    They're italian aren't they?

Don't understand why some shed in Australia can't turn out a few hundred of these sort of things. Borrow most of the complicated stuff from other manufacturers & do the numty stuff like frames & bodywork out the back.
    Sure they wont be the cheapest, but it'll get the ball rolling & some patriots amoungst us might mortage the wife for one.
    Everyone else would want a sit if nothing else.

Filling shipping containers with 'price sencitive' chinese pig iron nobody would really be intrested in holding onto past a first rego renewal is just adding to hard rubbish collection days & dragin the whole motorcycle industry down in a race to the bottom.

20. 1100 monster.

And almost all Guzzi's.