Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Chinese Bikes, why bother?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by slik50, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Hi,

I've recently been given permission from the missus to purchase my first bike. I'm 34 years old and have wanted a bike for at least 29 years.

Anyway the one condition from my wife was that I buy new or almost new (<5000K) to reduce the chances of buying someonelses freshly painted and shined death trap.

I've noticed that there are some chinese road bikes on offer for around $4500 +orc. What I can't understand is why anyone would buy one when the honda CB250F is only 4900 as is the yamaha scorpio.

Am I missing the point or are the chinese bikes going to to stack up against the entry level Japanese bikes?

I'm a larger guy and was going to look at the GS500F or even the BMW F650, but I was just curious whether anyone here had considered one of the chinese road bikes or seen one "in the flesh"?

2. CB250F is now only 4900? That's excellent, last time I looked they were around 5500 mark... You are not missing the point - now that CBF and Scorpio can be had at the same price as the Chinese crap, there is no reason to go there. But what you have to know is, Scorpio is only a couple of weeks old in our market, and until it came along, the cheapest bikes from 'the big four' were at least a grand more expensive.

And I am convinced the arrival of Scorpio, in turn, was the response to the arrival of all that Chinese crap. Until Chinese put some fear into the major players, they had no particular reason to lower the prices.

... and that's why competition is almost always good for us as consumers, for all the whingeing and doomsday predictions of the estabilished players who would love nothing better than to have the market to themselves. But once they are forced to adjust, they adjust - and life goes on.
  3. I was surprised about the CB250F also. It's jut one dealer on bikepoint that has the 2006 model as a runout at this price.
  4. yeah and teh cb250f is probably made in thailand, jsut like the honda accord and others now anyway. so whats the point! is right!
  5. Careful, some blowhard will threaten to have bikies beat you up with that sort of talk!

Regards, Andrew.
  6. Brazil actually. It's been on the Brazilian market for quite a while now if I remember rightly, quite popular over there apparently.
  7. Chinese

The Chinese are going to be major players, and the bikes will improve within a decade to the level of current Japanese models. But given a choice between the Honda, Yamaha and anything currently on offer from the Chinese makers, I'd be buying the Honda. The Zongshen 250 GPX-lookalike might be the pick of the bunch, and is dirt-cheap, but I'm waiting to see how well they last.
  8. I read somewhere the Scorpio is made in Indonesia? Can anyone confirm?
  9. my Hyosung is great, while im on my L's and P's it goes great, has 2 yr warranty and will get good re-sale, why the chinese bike bashing?
  10. Because a Hyosung is Korean not Chinese??
  11. yeah I agree. up to about $1500 difference I would find the money for the japanese bike. For about $1500-2000 after that it would be 50-50.

Basically for me to be buying a Chinese 250 at the moment it would have to be around $2500-3500.

but bring it on, because it keeps the Japanese bikes cheaper.

A few years ago a Suzuki SV650S was around $13500. Now it's around $10k (I believe) and that's with 3 years worth of inflation. If Hyosung weren't here, that wouldn't be the case.

Unless they get a toe hold they may struggle to be here in the future.
  12. Wasn't the same question asked of the Jap bikes a couple of decades ago?...........

Only difference I can speculate on(as a totally uninformed, steroetyping, white anglo-saxon who has never visited either country) is that the two countries(Japan and China) have very different cultures and I reckon the Chinese are less likely to be worried about quality as long as they sell. So they will only improve them to the point that they become, and remain, profitable. Whereas the Japs seem to prize quality and maintaining their reputation as producers of high quality merchandise.
  13. :eek:wned:
  14. Rob i realise that the "condition" from your wife is that you buy a new bike but honestly that should be further discussed. You can get bike shops or even the RACV (or was it the NRMA) does bike checks for people now and given the style of bike your looking at i would suggest that it is not going to have been trashed like a boy-racer style bike anway (eg.CBR250RR).

Generally bike riders take very good care of their bikes because as you mentioned if its in bad condition it could become a "death-trap". Personally i have bought many 2nd hand bikes and will continue to do so because they represent such great value when you compare them to the latest-greatest weapon out there.

Anyway just my 2 cents but i think discounting used bikes because they are all "deathtraps" is very narrow minded especially when it could and probably will save you some money AND allow you to buy the bike you want. Sorry if that sounds harsh and i mean no disrespect to your wife but think that 2nd hand market is alive and well with good condition 2nd hand bikes otherwise you would hear more about people buying bikes that are not roadworthy etc.

Back to the question, the Korean bike and the like are great value but the quality is probably not quite as good as a Jap bike because they have not been in the game as long. Having said that i still think they are a worthy purchase as long as you are going to keep them for a while because like Hyundai's etc in the car market the resale is not as strong as other makes.

Have fun making a decision and then be safe on the road.
  15. Thanks for the feedback about second hand bikes, I see your point. I guess I misrepresented my wife a little in that she doesn't think all second hand bikes are dangerous. It's more that she is not confident in my ability to differentiate between a crap bike that looks good and a good bike.

I live in NSW so I'll try to find people that do bike inspections and see if I can change her mind.

Thanks again

16. I know most have concentrated on the Jap vs other debate but I have a slightly different two cents to offer

I once read the following advice in a Two Wheels mag "buy in haste, repent at leisure". I bought a GS500 last year without doing my homework and rode it from Canberra back home to Sydney, well actually I made it back as far as Canyonleigh and crashed it. The mix of rider error (NOT speed!!!) and an unfamiliar road gave me 2 weeks of leisure in Bowral Hospital.

I'm not crapping the GS500, I should have brought it back in a trailer to protect me from my inexperience. In fact I'd love to buy another but I recently saved enough pennies for a new bike and it came to a choice between a new Yamaha Scorpio ($5200 on road) or a used GS500 ($4000). I went for the Yamaha because I (read wife :p ) prefer the comfort of a new bike warranty. Just for the record, here are the new bike prices I found in my research Yamaha Scorpio $52-5800, Honda CBF250 $63-6500 Suzuki GS500 $8500

If I understand your post correctly, you don't have riding experience. If you go second hand take a trusty friend to test ride and check over the bike. Get them to ride it home for you. You (and your wife) will feel much more comfortable getting to know your bike on familiar local roads.

Also make sure you have included cash for riding gear. No one looks cool when they fall off. Good gear makes it hurt less.

Have fun with your new bike...