Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Chicken strips

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Dazzler, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Still relatively new to netrider and riding in general. I've now clocked up 3000Ks in my first 6 months but unfortunately, mostly straight line commuting and freeways, I don't live near twisties.

I have seen people write about chicken strips as if they're a badge of dishonour. Sadly I now think I am developing chicken strips. The centre of my rear tyre is developing an obvious flat line about 4cm across.

How do I cure myself. I have found myself weaving side to side in a vain effort to make them disappear, no luck. I have thought about taking the back streets and zig-zag my way home taking the left-right corners at speed.

A mate suggested that I need to get away from the city and get up to the hills, that way I can let the gentle sweeping of the curves sooth away my strips.

Please help
    Daz :oops:

2. 250's are exempt from such dishonour I reckon.

3. Yeah don't feel pressured into stupid lean angles. You can't brake hard when leaning.

Get some harder compound tyres?

4. First don't stress about it but for your own riding development you need to do more twisty work. I realise its flat down your way but a couple of hours will give you this loop or many other variations out that way.

Get out there and practice setting yourself up for corners, braking prior to a corner, gear selection, line into and out of the corner etc. Its fun :)

5. Don't worry about those kishy strips. They'll be long gone when you ride fast enough. :popcorn:

6. I recommend sandpaper.

Remember, don't do it with the wheel spinning whilst the engine's on.

7. Thanks Cris
    I should make the time to take your advice. It does look like a fun route. I just seem to spend all my time in a straight line at the mo.

Thanks again
    Daz

8. I wouldn't be too worried about them, I have small strips on my rear tyre, probably about 5mm, and thats as far as I'm going to lean on public roads I think. I took my peg feelers off the other day, gave me a big fright when I felt them dig in :shock:

9. dun worry. it will be gone in due time. just let it happen naturally.
    bad thing can happen if you rush in to it

10. go to the track! they wont last long there.

11. Do a track day.

12. It is better to have chicken strips than to have a low-side. If anyone "gives" you a badge of dishonour, those people are not worth listening to.

Everyone's circumstances is different. Some live near twisties, some can afford track days. some only ride every now and then. Just do what you can do and stay safe.

If you get an opportunity to ride out to some twsties. Then ride it slowly and carefully. Don't worry about keeping up with others.

I wouldn't even be bothered about the chicken strips. If/when you need to replace your tires, just do it and forget about all of that unworn chicken strips. At least you did not low-side.

13. Don't stress too much about wide chicken strips. However I would think wearing a flat section on your tyre would make for a not-so desirable sensation when leaning ( is that correct guys? ).
    As others have suggested, go and find some twisties :)

14. My last bike purchase involved a 15 year old set of original fitment Bridgestones that had next to no tread and flat spots. Admittedly, it's a bigger bike, but I had the read end slide out as it rolled off the flat on to the very narrow edge of the flat. Just at that point the contact patch on the road is tiny and very slippery.

As for the badge of dishonor, pfft! The only truly bad bike is one that doesn't go and the only truly bad riding is that which is never done! If your riding is long and straight so be it.

15. yeah who cares but yes a big flat bit will reduce traction as you lean in. my rear tyre is an odd shape and to remove the strips completely i would have to lay the bike on its side and push it down the road.

16. Chicken strips are the unscrubbed part of the tread out on the edge of the tyres. This area tends to retain a shinier appearance.

It has nothin directly to do with the flat spot daily commuting causes. Simply, if you're not getting the bike over, you'll have them from day dot and then the tyre flattens off which results in a crap profile for cornering... crap in that the bike "feels" uncomfortable trying to lean over, feels less planted, the bike wants to move around on the "hump" mid lean and the bike resists tipping but then all of a sudden tips further.

That's one reason why daily commuters don't like the twisties - because by the time they get out there, corners don't feel great because the bike doesn't.

To round them off will require persistence and extended gentle cornering at first. The best defence is prevention!

17. For example - After eleventy billion kilometres of long-haul touring and insufficient laps of Macquarie Pass, my Tiger's rear tyre is more square-shaped than the 205/50/R15 tyres on my car. :LOL:

18. might be also due to the fact its 15yo rubber. the compounds deteriorate over time with the tyre becomming stiffer and 'chalky'. Tyres do have a finite shelf life.

19. I'll have mine with Extra Hot sauce, and Peri-Peri salt on the chips too thanks!

15yo tyres?! Yikes! Change those suckers out now before the bike falls over on its side-stand!

Tyre profile and body position counts for a lot though. Some tyres you can lean the bike until the pegs start to scrape with the feelers removed and you still won't reach their edge. On more touring oriented tyres you can reach their edge without even really trying.

With rare exception, most tyres that fit on 250cc bikes don't come in a super-sticky compound, and the compound is pretty hard. You can still push them along at a fair clip but they will likely start to slide before you reach their edge, even on warm dry bitumen. I certainly wouldn't feel guilty about having chicken strips on most regular 250cc bike tyres.

20. Super sticky 250 tyres -> Dunlop gpra10 (replaced grp70)

My rear lasted me about less than 4000k with twice (or more) weekly trips to the blackspur. the day that I changed the tyre, the bike tipped so easily.

But really....dont rush into it. gradually with time you will learn to lean more. but you have to ride twisty roads though.