Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

"Chicken strips" front not rear

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by HeavyNinja, May 20, 2016.

1. Quick question regarding the tyre tread wear patter or chicken strips. I have finally started riding my bike in a manner that I have tKen the rears from a good inch or two of unused rubber to 3mm. However I noticed that the front still has a lot of unused tread on the edge. What would cause the difference in wear?

I have taken a few corners now where I can feel I am riding right o that edge, you get a slight rubbing/vibration from the rear and part of me also wonders if this is the pre warning before the rear slides out. Either way it has been fun.

2. why do you think?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. I dunno, part of me wonders if it is normal wear or my weight on the back leans more pressure into that tyre.
  4. Read about castor angle.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. also, the curvature of your tyres is different, as mounted on those width rims, plus front and rear tyre have different deflections, both while riding straight and cornering..

so, while you may have the bike at 40deg lean (typical for ninja) and on the edge of the rear tyre, the loading is not that big because you are not going fast relative to what the tyre geometry can allow. (not a criticism at all, just an observation)

ie, if you have your weight below the bike, rather than above, for the same lean angle you have to go faster, which loads the tyres more, deflects the front tyre more, and uses more rubber toward the edge of the front tyre..

basic(?) physics really... ;)

if a motogp bike was pootled around, it would also not use the edge of it's front tyre.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Don't try to eliminate chicken strips on the front. Losing the front is not something most riders can recover from.

Even at track days I am left with some unused rubber on the front even though the rear is melting away. It's nice to have that reserve for when you need to lean more imo.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. There's no direct relationship between the size of your chicken strips front/rear. Apart from anything else (see above (y)), your rear tyre is wider and runs a different section......
    • Like Like x 1
  8. and as I learned as a learner not that long ago.. using tyre to edge at this point, probably just means you're doing it wrong :) (the idea is to lean the bike less, not more)
  9. #9 Nicholai_Chev, May 20, 2016
    Last edited: May 21, 2016
    All depends on your suspension setup and how your steering.
    Most riders I see who have scuffed up the fronts to the level your expecting are sliding around corners deflecting their steering and riding a very fine line between total washout and getting around the corner....not something you want to be doing off a track and not on very warm slicks!

Your clearly doing something right to be burning tread on those angles so don't work yourself up over it.

<strike>Quite possibly or a warning!</strike>....confirming this is painful, expensive and embarrassing.
    ^Edit: Fail misinterpretated Engrish, however still a shit outcome
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Bottom line is, when you go off the edge of the tread, it's better that it happens on the rear first because you might get it back. Go off the edge of the front tyre and you will* go down.

*Maybe not if you're a never-say-die acrobat like Mamola, but normal mortals will crash.
  11. Sphincter says what?
    • Funny Funny x 3
  12. Well that didn't translate to well into english!
  13. Washing out a wheel with the only thing keeping you on the seat being your ass cheeks.....the books say you can induce weird twitchy feelings through the bike by holding onto the bars to tight however I reckon half of that is squeezing onto the bike so hard with your legs out of shear terror.