Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Adventure/Enduro' started by booga, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Well, I think to start off it'd be nice to have some established check lists for different tours.

Day tours, w/e tours, full week or longer tours.

And for different terrain options.

And obviously for differnt styles of bikes.

There have been people that have obviously done this before, and a starter would be greatly appreciated...

PS First! ;)
  2. To answer your questions Dave

I used to do the day thing, as you where pretty much knackered after a decents days trailriding. You try picking up an old XL500 58 times in a day, on a grand canyon wheel rutted chasm we nicknamed "The widow maker"

Terrain options-In the east is what I know personally-you got Toolangi with its light brown/tan shoal hard clay, kinda rocky in parts, lots of ruts, lots of properties, riding next to barbed wire fences and some pretty hard tight riding in places. Sparser vegitation as in not giant mountain ashes of Narby and not many creek crossings or rivers. Some of the clay there is sooooo hard, when it gets wet I used to call it ice clay. You hit at any angle or speed and either your front or rear washes out instantly.
    Suddenly, before you know it, your on your back, going :-s WTF happended, :-s as your spinning like a rag doll, looking at the forest canopy going by, as you slide across the ice skating clay rink at whatever speed you were doing :rofl:
    You learn to read the dirts surface really quickly when trailriding or break a lot of brake/clutch levers.
    When I first started riding trail, I used to fall A LOT, would avoid winter riding and would allow for 2 levers a ride.

As you head over to Narbethong and Murrindindi, the soil gets more fertile and that rich deep dark chocalate brown, the vegatation changes to a bit more lush forest, and you get better traction. We useed to alternate between Toolangi if we wanted a hard ride or Narbethong for longer ride with more variety of trails. Thats where I cut my teeth on bikes.
    As you get more experienced, you can head up to areas around high country like around Mt Buller. We used to get a bunch of blokes up there most weekends when I was living there over summer. A guy called Klaus Muller does trail bike tours and knows the area sbackwards. Alternatively the shell servo in Bright hire KTM350's, if you want some really serious billygoat territory and break someone else's bike to the tune of $350 a day I think. Well was couple of years ago anyways.

I recommend to anyone who wants to learn to ride-1st-buy a trailbike!!!! 1000 bucks worth of protective gear, and trailer, and get a map!.
    Knee gaurds, body armour, decent tie downs, a jerry can, spare levers, tubes, a tow rope, tool kit as you WILL break bits trail riding and GET A LICENCE AND REG!!!!!
    Guy I rode with years ago stacked in Toolangi and broke his leg, well into the bush, 4wd Ambulance and SES and cops had to get him out. $2500$ in expenses and $1k in fines, and they let him off lightly :shock:

Go through Black spur, get to Tudor lodge roadhouse, just before Marysville turnoff, take the road next to the roadhouse and the sawmill left, heads into state forest.
    From there you can cut across to Toolangi or Murrindindi. Essentially as far a I recall, thats the start of the great dividing range, so theoretically you can ride to Queensland, as thats where the other end is.
    I rode these hills for better part of 6 years and learnt them backwards. There is some ABSOLUTELY :dance: FANTASTIC riding to be had in there, just watch out for logging trucks :shock: and weekend warrior 4WD,s. :?
    Back in them days, we talking early 80,s, we didnt even have reg or 8-[ licences, but we knew the local ranger and was up there 40 weeks out of 52 and looked after the campsight and respected the bush :blah:
    Back then even on a easter long weekend, you would see a maximum 20 bikes spread throughout the whole forest. Now days you get that most weekends and then some.

Ive always been a 4 stroke man and started on an Honda XR200. Had nothing but Hondas in trailbikes. 2 strokes where pretty common then, but now technology wise, the 4 strokes goes as hard as them with 1/100th of the noise :music:
    God those IT490,s CR500 and KX500 things were loud, but had SOOOOO much grunt, they could climb trees and pull stumps for the fire at night.

When my boy gets old enough, I will get back into trailbikes to teach him how to ride and learn about nature from camping. Had some of best times of my youth, with the boys, camping and :beer: in those hills.

Ahhh, :woot: dem was the days. Reminisce over Dave :grin:
  3. Geez - whatever happened to "Travelling Light"? This sounds more like "Getting away from it all, by taking it all with you" Assuming the Falcon station-wagon is too small, surely you'd need a big sidecar and a fair-sized trailer to shift that lot!
    Time was that bike touring - for a day, a week, a month or a year - could be done with a couple of rolls of cash, a shifter, some pliers and a toothbrush. Since then, credit-cards have made it even easier - and bike reliability means you no longer have to occasionally cut bits of fence wire to hold on those parts of the bike that vibrated off (I'm even older than I look).
    Years ago, I took a lady on a 4000km tour around, well, it doesn't matter, but we did it over 5 glorious weeks on a Guzzi Le Mans; we each had a 25 litre pannier - and neither was full; we had enough clothes to have clean on every day, made camp early enough to cook, wash up and clean up before sunset and arose early. I have no idea where she is now, but I still have the bike - and the panniers, for that matter - not that I need that much space...