Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Checking Wheel Balance

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by smidsy, Dec 27, 2012.

1. #1 smidsy, Dec 27, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
    Hei Guys,
    The other week my XVS650 got a spike in the back wheel, so I removed the wheel and took it to the local Honda dealer (the yamaha dealer up doesn't impress me) who fitted a new tube.

Got the wheel back on and the bike was unstable as hell, the back end felt as if the wheel was wobbling from side even though it wasn't - there is no side to side movement in the wheel at all.

I crawled home at 60 staying very vertical on every corner, and I finally got round to working on it today. The only way I can see to align the back wheel was with vernier calipers from the end of the frame to the axle - it was 1mm out which I've adjusted. It was torqued to factory spec (maybe a few NM tighter since my torque wrench is in increments of 5) and hadn't come loose.

Could this be the wheel balance, do wheels on bikes need to be balanced - I have to admit that I didn't notice what lead was on the wheel before I gave to Honda but they have put a fair bit on, 4 sections of the self adhesive flat lead.

Any idea guys.
  2. I've got no idea what the actual problem is, but checking the wheel balance should be easy enough. I did mine with a ghetto set up of a paddock stand, some lubed metal tubing from Bunnings and some weights I bludged from the local shop when I bought my tyres. Plenty of vids on youtube for guidance, but a basic understanding of the laws of physics should be enough.
  3. Check....
    * Tyre Pressure
    * That the tyre bead is seated on the rim correctly ( both sides )
    * The spacers each side of the wheel are correct. ie. the rear /front sprockets line up correctly

string alignment.......... http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/sportryderswheelalignmentmethod.shtml.
    Never assume the marks on the swingarm, or the length of each side of the swingarm are true / equal.
  4. Mike,
    The XVS is shaft drive, from what I can see after you bolt on the back diff you only have limited movement on one side.
    I have the factory manual for the bike but all that says is that installation is the reverse of removal.
  5. #5 mike8863, Dec 28, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
    If that's the case you can eliminate alignment...my bad not being familiar with this model designation,,

Just looking at an exploded parts view and there is a spacer between the brake housing or plate and the swing arm. Part #28 'Present and accounted for'?
    Have you checked that the tyre bead is seated properly against the rim both sides? ( the distance between the 'rim line' and the 'rim' should be even all the way round the tyre on both sides.)
    tyre diagram. xvs650 rear wheel.