Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Checking the valve clearences of a Yamaha Scorpio, easy?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by guest1347, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Hi,

I am fairly new the world of motorcycles. I have been riding for about 6 months and just got my p's.

My bike (2008 Yamaha Scorpio) is in for a service at the moment and I am not keen to keep spending the money for services especially when I would love to start doing them myself (and I have just gone back to uni full time so I am on a pretty tight budget).

I have had a look through the riders manual and everything that needs to get done for a service looks fairly straight forward except checking the valve clearences.

The manual does not have instructions on how to do this (it says that it is a complicated thing to do and to only let a yamaha dealer do it) and I have not been able to find any information on the web on how to check them (after a fair bit of searching).

Does anyone have any idea where else I can look for information?
    Is it something that is difficult to do?
    Is it the sort of thing that a more experienced rider could help me with on a spanner day/night, or is it the sort of thing that really needs to get done in a workshop?

Any help would be great,

Thanks guys/gals

2. Shouldn't be too hard, can't imagine too many Indonesian owners would be taking theirs to the nearest Authorised Yamaha Dealer ;).

Do you know what type of ajdustment it has - ie does it need shims or is it screw and locknut?
  3. I havn't been able to find out specifically for the Scorpio. Although from my understanding the engine is derived/the same as the xt225... I'm pretty sure the xt225 uses locknuts...
  4. Locknut seems the more likely given the market the bike's designed for.

Pretty much any workshop manual for a bike with locknut adjustment should give you the basic methodology - all you then need is the specific settings for your bike. Probably a good idea to get an experienced rider to show you through the first time, but you should be able to do it yourself from then on.
  5. If it's Locknuts, it's easy! Just make sure you're at TDC on the ignition stroke! :wink:

If you're handy with google, you should be able to turn up a workshop manual for the total cost of $0.00, there may even be a link here on netrider.

Good Luck, you will fond it very rewarding. (Or you won't & you'll take it to the shop next time. Ether way, you'll know.)