Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Checking out a Honda VT250 SPADA [Melb]

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by Juan Angel, Jan 24, 2007.

1. I'm not too sure where to put this thread - I hope this is the right place to do so :? Basically I'm looking at buying a bike and would like some feedback on the bike, even better would be if someone could help me check it out.

The bike I am looking at is a 1990 Honda VT250 Spada; the asking price is $3000 - I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the link to the ad, but I could provide more details if anyone wants to know.

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to come along and check out the bike with me and my father - I have never bought a bike before, so I'm next to useless other than identifying that the thing has two wheels and I can sit on it. My father used to ride but hasn't in a long time, plus he has limited mechanical expertise, so it would really help out having another person there.

The seller is located in Upwey, hopefully there is someone out there who is in the area - if you would be willing to do this, just let me know :wink:

Thanks in advance,

Juan

2. I have moved it to the correct section, don't post the ad otherwise someone else might buy it before you.

3. Thankyou, I did message the only moderator who was online at the time, but he was unsure as to which forum this would go into :?

That thought also occurred to me, as well as not knowing if it were allowed anyway :)

4. Hola Juan!!!

Good luck with your bike hunting.

Will

5. Thanks, I could use a bit of luck :)

Cheers,

Juan

6. No one is willing to help??? :roll: :roll: :roll:

7. If you're not afraid on spending a little cash ask the seller to ride it to one of the bike shops in Dandy. Organise a quick look over and a compression test. Having somebody look over the bike is great, but the grey import ('specially 250's) can tend to not be what you think they are and need a mechanics opinion. This was the case with my Spada.

8. As it turned out, no one was :( Thanks for your help though.

I had contemplated using the services of UMI, or similar - a company that checks out second hand bikes, but at $120 it is a lot for a bike I'm not sure on. As it turned out, the bike does not have a RWC, there were a few things that would need to be fixed up before I would purchase one. With an asking price of $3000, it is a lot to spend on a second hand '89 model 250. I'm not really sure what I should do now, whether I should continue looking around or contact this guy and ask him what he is willing to do.

9. Personally I would never buy a bike without RWC. One small detail might cost hundreds. You might think the discs are fine, but if they're 0.2mm too small you'll have to shell out hundreds for new ones.

Keep looking, what's your budget? What bikes have you narrowed your selection to? If you find any bikes closer to me I'll help you look over them.

10. That is true - when my father rode the bike, he said the front brakes were a bit 'spongy'. Possibly they just need adjusting; could be worse though. The light switch had broken off, too :?

My budget is ~$4500 for the bike and gear and so on; of this I hope to spend between $2000 and $3000 on the bike - hopefully closer to the $2000 end :)

My selection is narrowed to one of a Honda Spada/Hornet (the Hornet is going to be out of my price range though :(), a CB250 or one of the CBs... a friend was selling a CBX, which was a genuine POS.

I also like the Suzuki Across bikes, although I don't want a faired bike as much; a sports bike is right out too - no CBR250RRs for me.

Thanks for your offer of help :) If I come across anything, I will let you know.

Juan

11. This is a bit basic. But it will give you room to negotiate a RWC below your budget (say $2600).

12. Thanks for the link -- I don't know anything about the GN250, are these bikes any good? I have been looking at the more well known Honda's, as I know they have a reputation for being reliable. I wouldn't mind something in this price range though.

Where abouts is MacLeod, by the way? I might contact the seller and see what "minor tweaks" are needed for the RWC.

13. I had a look at a few ads for GN250s, all priced around 2-2.5k; I'm thinking these bikes may be too small? A single cylinder, I'm almost 6ft. and weigh over 70kgs, is this bike going to struggle at all?

14. I am about the same size as you Juan, I would strongly recommend paying a bit more for a Hornet 250. I've sat on one before and the size is just nice.. Being a Four, there is no problem accelerating..

15. Is the Honda Hornet the new version of the Spada? That was my understanding :)

I don't know that I could afford the Hornet, but I will have to see. I have ridden a CB250 and a CBX250; I really wouldn't want to get anything smaller than one of these. The Spada seemed like a good size for me.

16. No the VTR is a new version of the Spada. Both have V twin engines. The Honda Hornet is an inline 4. a higher revving engine and more output in top end. (you have to rev it heaps). Lots of gear changes needed to have fun...

I'm afraid the Honda Hornet or VTR 250 is unlikely to fall within your budget. Go the Spada they're nice bikes. Surely can find one around the $3000 mark, just need to be patient and bargain hard. Other options to look at might include an SR250, or a Katana.

17. Ah ok, thanks. I have seen both the VTR and Hornet and they sure are out of my price range - I'm expecting to pay between $2000 and $3000, not above. So far the Spada looks like a very suitable bike, so long as I can find a decent one within my budget :)

Are the SR250 and Katana imports? I have seen a few around, but I don't know much about them.

18. Oops, I managed to double post somehow :eek:

19. I've got a Spada that I paid $2600 for with a RWC and am hugely happy with. In terms of a great bike to start out on, and great value (I expect to get most of my money back when I sell it) they're hard to go past. I'd second the advice of hanging on for one with a roadworthy.

Four Spadas on Bikesales.com. One is the one you were looking at. ;-)

One is priced at $3.5k - I'd be checking it over and running 5 grand up the flag to see who saluted.

One is priced at $5k - "tell 'im 'e's dreamin'" ;)

20. Yeah I have seen those bike - the $3.5k bike didn't really appeal to me, the $5k one is about right. The one I took a look at wasn't too bad, but had no RWC - I might ask the guy if he would get one for it. There is also a VTZ250 or VT250F for sale, are these bikes any good? They are imports, so I don't know if it is worth taking a look at.