Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Checking in tires as baggage?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Bucky, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Has anyone ever boxed up, or wrapped a set of tires and checked them as baggage for a flight (international)? Ive been trying to do some research to see if there would be any problems as far as the airlines, customs, etc. I am flying from US to Australia and would like to take a set of DOTs as my second checked baggage.

2. So long as they are under the dimension and weight restrictions you should be fine. I'd chuck 'em in a box though.
  3. A friend of mine, and his wife, have been known to take a pair of tyres in their baggage, flying Oz to Europe.

I asked them how they did it and they explained that a tyre in a suitcase takes up surprisingly little room, if you fill up all the gaps with clothes and other stuff.

Nobody gave them any dramas.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Might need a copy of the Invoice? Or declare them as trade samples?

I think there would be more issues with getting through Customs than checking them as baggage.
  5. I doubt if u need a receipt as item has to cost over $1k before u need to pay duties on it
  6. Distant days, I know, but there was a story back in the 70s of a Sydney road-racer who couldn't afford to freight his Yamaha TZ700 to New Zealand for a race series, so he pulled it apart, packed it into several suitcases and took it with him as luggage....
    • Like Like x 1

7. He he he. I know a couple of blokes, who on trips to the US of A, returned home with no clothes, but suitcases full of steel cranks, alloy heads, titanium valves, forged pistons, forged H beam rods and various other high performance V8 engine parts. Cost a bit in excess weight though.
  8. Ditto on carrying the invoice/receipt.
    Only issue I've ever had with customs was a camera tripod which was like $220 but customs held it for a while thinking it might be over $1000. Isolated instance. Have carried and had sent items worth much more with no problem.
    Otherwise i don't see any issue with it.