Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Check your headlight

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Gustlik, May 7, 2009.

1. Not sure where to post this. I guess its a good tip. Check your headlights, with winter upon us, daylight savings kicked in, most of us are returning from work around dusk. You don't really notice if your headlight is on in summer, and may not register that its not working as well as it should.

To the BMW F650 (think thats what you were on) today on Ryde Rd. If you are reading this, your headlight is a candle, you become invisible when a car with its headlights on, is behind you. You might want to do something about that. Don't want anyone slamming on the breaks not knowing you are there.

Could not flag you down, too much traffic and i felt kind of guilty putting us in a catch 22 by pulling in behind you. You could not split not knowing what i would do, i wasn't sure weather to split past you thinking you may want to. All good, nice twin pipes, hope i was not staring. :LOL:

Keep safe.

2. :shock:

Now you have me worried. I ride a BMW F650 and I have started to wonder if the light is bright as it doesn't throw forward very well. High beam is great but that is not usable with other traffic. I'll have a look at the light tomorrow morning and if it is bad to look at will get it fixed. Thanks for the heads up.

3. Whats is a good headlight to place on bikes am looking for a H1 and H3. Want something that offers much more range and whiter light. Is normal car headlights ok or is there better for bikes??

Chris

4. Best bet is to follow whatever is recommended in your owners manual. Be careful not to put a bulb in that draws too much more power over the specified bulbs - it may result in some crispy friend electronics.

5. I use a phillips +80 bulb in mine, 60/55W H4. It's more intense ( tested it on my meter ), does not generate much more heat than standard, and projects a longer beam.

aV1aJiA0.

It's also important to ensure your headlamp is aimed correctly !
    I may be able to assist those who are not able to have their headlamps aimed.

6. Vinnie,

I'll take you up on that offer.

My headlights are woeful. They don't project anywhere near far enough for my liking.

Will grab a couple of the Phillips bulbs and come hassle you ;)

7. +1 on these. I use them in my bikes and they make a definite difference of the stock yellow dimmers. Definitely one of the best globe types on the market. A little pricey, but hey, quality usually is. You get what you pay for.

8. No hassle at all vic

9. Ok, so from what i am getting from your below posts guys is that the upper end car globes are fine to use as along as the wattage / amps are within the spec's of my bike. I run the Navra blue power in the car and love them, so was hoping i could look at something like this. But then i have been seeing alot about these HID conversion kits and was starting to think about them. Any thoughts about em?