Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Check the oil level in the gearbox?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by Purple_Pig, Feb 26, 2005.

1. How do you check the oil level in the gearbox, the reason I ask is because I went out to the bike today to get ready for a ride and noticed a patch of oil on the ground. I have checked the engine oil and all is ok (had it upright and on level ground). If I can check the gearbox level and see if it is low this would help me to diagnose the problem. About 45 minutes after I got back from my ride I went out to check again and there where three drops of oil on the ground. I am on my L’s and only had the bike 2 months, a diesel mechanic by trade but this is my firs bike. I am not going to do the repair it is under warranty but I just want to learn a bit about my bike, as I have no Manuel for it. Also the side plastics are off it for repair at the moment, it is still ok to ride? It’s a CBR 250 :-k

2. The gearbag and the engine share the same oil/common sump on your bike so you are reading the overall oil level 8)

3. If it is leaking it still has oil - don't worry about it!!

4. No it is not leaking when the engine is running I gave the bottom of the engine a clean before I started it and let it warm up to make sure that when the pressure built up it was not leaking. It only drips oil when the engine is turned off

5. Take the fairings off and clean the engine, you should then be able to spot where the leak if coming from.
    There are only a handfull of screws on the CBR to get the fairings off, easy job if you are a chemanic :)