Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Check out this bike

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by Kurtis_Strange, Nov 15, 2005.

1. I'm just trawling the bike websites looking at whats around and I've found this beast of a thing...04 model, 9.5

I must learn to post shorter URL's

It looks pretty wicked. How does this model rate? Is it heavy?

2. The head light styling is a bit sketchy for me but other than that i reckon theyre an awesome lookin bike... Sure the kwaka site would give ya specs

3. yeah it looks like something out of batman eh? and no pillion seat?

4. Says it come with the original seat :)

5. A scaled down version of the Z1000, nice bike and at 195kgs dry the weight's about what you'd expect for a non-supersport 750.

6. I'm biased bc I dont like the look of a bare bike..

195kg.. Didnt think they were that heavy

7. hmmm I want a light bike...the new F4i is only 170

I thin 185 is tops for me, I only weigh 70kgs

8. :LOL: DuncanK

Yeh it does help if your heavier. My ride is over 200kg with fuel
    but I'm half that weight @ 100+kg

9. I haven't seen one in black before. Very very nice.

Although a Zed Thou would weigh about the same, IIRC.

10. Z1000 is only 3kg heavier, think they share the same frame/engine block. Weight is one issue, the other problem is that the seat is fairly high and wide which means it's not exactly suited to shorter riders.

11. Fair point.

Of course, there's also the problem that the Thou looks like a tart's handbag unless you buy one in a dark colour and get rid of those silly pipes.

12. very nice.....my plan when i upgrade is to get the z750 or the suzuki sv650s.....well my dream anyway

both have really good reviews and sound like their heaps FUN to ride! :)

any owners here who can comment? i'd love to hear first hand

13. skip the 650 and go straight to the firestorm :D

go the V TWINS 8) :LOL: :LOL:

14. really?

i've only ever ridden my cb250. when time to upgrade i wanted something alittle stronger, well alot stronger, with a wide/useable powerband.....as i like cruising around and would like an easy/torquey engine. that's why i wanted the 650-750 and not like say a sports bike where the power is at the higher revs.

i thought that the firestorm and the sv1000 would have its power set up for the higher revs like on a sports bike? and wouldn't they due to their physical size be less maneuverable than a 650-750?

15. I pinched this off another site ( twincams it was written by ashes , he also has a storm)

BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE!!!!
    If you test ride one you WILL buy it.

The fun factor....

The twin has huge grin factor from a standing start. You will hit 100kmh in well under 4 seconds and will just be thinking about changing gear. You look in the mirrors and the traffic is 80-100 metres behind you. Twisty handling is not as good (but still ok) as a sports 600 (the Storm is classed as a sports/tourer) and does require a little bit of fiddling to get it right. I haven't done much with mine in that regard apart from raising the rear 6mm. Like the Across, some minor work on the front forks (valves/springs) is recommended for serious twisty handling. The brilliant thing about a large twin is how it handles in regards to power through corners. Great engine braking and heaps of torque. You definately are not dancing up and downs the gears like you would on a 4. Just keep it in 3rd and roll the power on and off in most cases.

The commuter factor....

The storm is about as good on the juice as the Across. sad.gif

Mine is pretty much a commuter, it does 50ks on the freeway and about 20ks through 60-80k roads per day. The bike is perfect for this. It's great in the heavy traffic, stick it in 2nd or 3rd or 4th (doesn't matter that much) and you easily flow with the traffic. Splitting is not a drama, it's reasonably narrow.

I currently get around 230k's from about 14litres (I have a 2003 model that has a 19l tank). The post 2001 model has a larger tank, some more digital gear and a slightly different (more upright position). You would be able to get one of these for around the 8.5-9 mark with some astute shopping, some 2nd hand pipes - about $500 if they dont come with them already on (pretty rare).

The amount of fuel used is directly related to how hard you ride it. Commuting through traffic won't burn the juice. More often than not you find yourself sitting on about 3000rpm (not 8000-9000 like the Across). Working it hard on the track will halve your economy.

I have no problems using the bike as a commuter. It does get through the traffic well and they do hear you coming with the baffles out of the Staintunes. I've added some mirror extenders as the view behind wasn't brilliant (detracts a bit from the looks but I put safety first). I added some 19mm bar risers to get a bit more upright on the bike mainly due to the 95% commuting I do. Not mandatory but I like the feel better. You need to be sensible about your tyre choice if you are doing mostly commuting. It's tempting to get the latest sticky sports rubber but constant freeway travel will square it off pretty quick. I don't ride mine real hard and manage to keep good traction with "road/touring" type rubber. Just clocked 15000ks' with the same back and front tyre. They will need replacing in the next 3 months as they are squaring a little.

The bling factor...

The storm with Staintunes with the baffles out is a beautiful thing. The twin sound is distinctive and sounds brilliant at 200kmh+ down the main straight or just idleing at the lights. Aftermarket pipes are mandatory!!! Watch out for highrise pipes if you are using a rack, some "customisation" to the rack may be necessary to get it to fit.

There are heaps of things you can do to the bike at a reasonable cost (none mandatory). You just do it because you want too...

I thought I'd keep mine pretty stock but it's easy to get real enthusiastic about playing with this bike. In 9 months I've added SS braided brake/clutch lines, double bubble tinted screen, oval Staintunes, mirror extenders, bar raisers, corbin seat, modded the airfilter (soon to install a K&N and dynojet kit and get a full dynotune done), oggy knobs on order, installed a 6mm spacer above the rear shock, performed a fenderectomy. Now I'm on the lookout for a hugger.

Some careful buying (ebay is your friend) will see you saving heaps of $'s. Often 2nd hand items (eg. mirror extenders) come up and you will save 50% over the same item new.

The Pillion factor...

OK, but wouldn't recommend a tour round OZ with anything more than a 60kg pillion. The Storm lacks a grab rail so a rack is handy. Power and handling wise the bike copes well. I recently pillioned a 100kg mate and it still stopped and went fine although the front end got a bit light.

The Honda factor...

Honda make great bikes that are really well put together. I haven't heard a lot of complaints about shoddy build quality or crap components.

The safety factor...

All bikes are dangerous. A large capacity bike will get you into dangerous situations more quickly than a 250. I however feel much safer on my storm than I did on the Across. The difference in handling and braking of a 3yo bike vs a 14yo bike is a world apart. The Storm starts first time every time and pulls up quicker than the Across. It does not weigh significantly more (about an extra 20kg) and the seat is way more comfortable (even better using a corbin..).
    The step up in power is a massive jump but not an issue if you have the maturity to handle it. I didn't buy my storm because of the power factor but more because of the easily usable power around town and on the freeway in the legal speed ranges. There are much quicker bikes out there than the storm in terms of top end. The Storm is better than most from 0-150, from 150+ the high powered 1000+ 4cyls come into there own.

The insurance factor...

The storm is cheaper than full on fully faired sports bikes. Shop around. Does depend quite a bit on your age and your insurace nominations and options.

Vs. others...

There are heaps of great bikes out there that are more than suited to the riding you want to do. For me the storm was the right bike because I got a 12 month old bike with 4000k on the clock for less than 11k. I've spent another 2k getting it just right for me. The VFR's are great bikes buy will be a bit more expensive.

My advice, get a newer model bike if you want reliability.

have a look at
    www.ozfirestorm.com for some "unbiased" views on the storm...