Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cheapest new riding gear in SA

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by kransky.dan, Oct 19, 2006.

1. hey all,
    Got my L plates, wwaahhhhooooo :grin: :grin:
    Now i have been looking and got a quote from Peter Stevens for some gear, helmet, pants, jacket, boots, the whole box and dice.

Im just wondering if anyone in SA knows of another place that could be cheaper, I do not want to buy off ebay either - dont like to risk that much $$.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!
    thanks guys and girls

**edit** heres that quote i was telling you about not saying where its from..... Can i get some feed back on prices and what u think of the gear i picked out. thanks again.

[IMG:588:800:893553d575]http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k285/kransky_dan/quote.jpg[/img:893553d575]

2. I got my jacket and gloves from Maximoto on main north road.
    Speaking to the guy i was able to get about $110 of the lot cos i was buying it there and then (paid $330 for an Orina Shape Jacket and MotoDry Arctic Ice gloves when the Jacket was marked as $350 and the gloves as $70).

A number of places (from what ive heard) are willing to drop the price a bit when you're buying a few things, its just a matter of asking.

Hope that helps :)

3. My dad was at Bills Motorcycles yesterday & he said they had some new summer jackets pretty cheap

4. Just round the corner from peter stevens is a little bike shop called "
    adelaide motorcycle accessories" or something, owned by some grumpy old wanker of a dude, but his stuff is cheap! Best place to get the rossi tourer boots cos theyre like $30 cheaper than anywhere else. The shop is right on the corner of china town near Bob Jane.

Oh and if you are thinking of getting draggins instead of leathers you should go to Walder Miller, they have jeans similar to draggins, same thing but cant remember the name, they are like $189 and they look way better than draggins, boot cut legs rather than the crappy tight bottom jeans.

Hope that helps :grin:

5. I just went through this whole process with my sister in law as she is going for her L's next week and needed the whole kit and Peter Stevens did her a really good deal on the lot as a package, she probably spent a little more than some people just starting out might spend but I kinda encouraged her to go for a couple of better quality items as they last longer and are more comfortable

6. We shop there all the time.
    We call it "Grumpy's"

yeah the owner is a miserable bastard
    but bugger me he's cheap!

7. Oh and if you are thinking of getting draggins instead of leathers you should go to Walder Miller, they have jeans similar to draggins, same thing but cant remember the name, they are like $189 and they look way better than draggins, boot cut legs rather than the crappy tight bottom jeans.

Thanks for the tip regarding the jeans Owen, my wife will be interested as she wants jeans but doesnt like the draggin fit, she says they are to high, so I will send her to Walden Millar and see what she thinks.
    Cheers

8. thanks for the replies, can someone give me a more fixed location of "grumpys"? might stop in and have a look. might scan my receipt from peter stevens and post see what u guys think.
    thanks

9. Adelaide Motorcycle Accessories
    271 Morphett St Adelaide 5000 (08) 8212 5451

looks really tiny.

10. Grumpys is in Morphett Street near Grote Street on the left if your travelling north up Morphett.

11. http://www.traxion.com.au/indexlearner.htm

Fullarton Rd

20% discount for learners on all gear. But clothes only, helmet would have to come from somewhere else.

They didn't bloody have that when i bought my summer jacket recently.

Charlie

12. For your helmet see Keith at total motorcycle i think its Research rd Pooraka his prices were the best around that we found for the missus helmet i even got my MX helmet there

13. hey, traxion looks great, thanks for the suggestion!!! will go in there and see.
    thanks all!!! ur a real help!!! :grin:

14. hey, quote added at top of page, let me know what u think of price and gear ive chosen, thanks all

15. I don't pay that much for my motorbikes let alone the gear.

16. Ooh i went to see grumpy today. He was not so mean! Compared to the rudest retail experience i have ever had in my life at truscott hi fi a few minutes earlier, it was warm and fluffy, even.

He is soooo cheap. Peter Stevens is giving me discount, but it looks like they mark up to mark down. Ole grumpy had stuff for $200 that was over $300 at PS.

Mind you, I thought the place was closed - it was so dark! But he was really helpful. Thinks I'm a w@nker for wanting an open face helmet, but so be it.

17. Grumpy is Ok. As long as you don't say any thing bad like "are you an outlaw?"

18. It's probably the gun shop next door that does him the outlaw disservice! He did hang sh!t on scooters for only being able to do 50ks, but I stuck up for my 250CC bella-to-be!

19. I second keiths.

20. Try getting a few prices and then play the bike shops off against each other for the best price.
    cheers vossy