Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cheap Learner 250

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by ]{ing Nothing, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Hey all,

I'm going to be looking for a 250 that is cheap to buy and cheap to insure. I've been reading around here and general consensus seems to say get a naked bike. But I have no idea which bikes fall under this catagory.

I'm in Melb, Vic, so nothing above 250.

cb250 is the only one I really know of, and thus, am leaning towards at the moment. I want to spend around 3-3.5k.

The other question is, the honda website lists a brand new cbf250 rrp ~5.5k

Is it worth spending the extra 2k for this, knowing it will be mechanically sound, is brand spanking new, will have fully warranty and rwc, and because I'm in vic, will hold its value very well?

2. Brand new bikes tend not to hold their value that well - there's that huge 'it's no longer new' depreciation you get as soon as you drive it out of the dealership. If the plan is just to use it while you're restricted, then I'd strongly suggest getting something a few years old, which will do what you want and hold its value better.

The CB is cheap, reliable, very economical, and a good choice... but maybe not the most exciting.

The VTR is another Honda naked 250 that is a bit more fun, and should be available in your price range (at the higher end. Or there's always the mighty VT 250 Spada (I have one so I'm biased) - much older (1989), but very cheap (2.5k to 3k) and great.

Remember a grand to 1.5k for gear in your budget.
  3. I do know of an 80,s GSX suzi that wont cost you much.

Just a guessimate but maybe $1500 on the road. Its in ok shape and in Thomastown. PM me if you want to know more?

4. If you're not going to do Highway riding (ie just commuting) the Suzuki TU is in that price range. I learned how to ride on one. They've got next to no power and c--p out at 90kph, but they're good for starting.

They have the kind of engine that is both hard to kill and easy to service and fix.

Also, there's the good old Postie bikes. The Honda CT110.
  5. Not sure about you .. but after riding for 2 months on the road.. I find that the my 250 is very slow off the lights.. so, as soon as I off my restriction, I will upgrade to a bigger bike..

I would suggest (personal point of view) not to spend too much on buying a new 250.. just get something decent and good condition that you can learn on for the next 15 months..
  6. Agree with the above post, i bought a ZXR250 as my first bike for close to 5K (*SMACK*). Nice little bike, but if i could do it over again i would buy somthing much cheaper, then spend the $ on somthing good once i was off restrictions.

Ended up selling the ZXR a year or so ago, was bikeless for a while and now im back on a VT250F (cost me $800). Will upgrade in November :D
  7. How do you find the vt250f? I've seen a couple for sale and they look ok.
  8. I had an '88 vt250f.
    It was absolutely amazing. I paid $1900 for it with 10mnths reg and RWC.
    I could not fault that bike it any way.
    I just hope dale can have it back on the road soon!!! :grin:
  9. Sounds like you got a good deal. The one I'm looking at at the moment is '88 with 28000 on the clock and is $2800.

I don't know if I should care about bikes with scratched fairings. I mean ultimately, I would like it naked, but when it comes time for me to buy, if faired bikes seem to be cheaper at that point, I would probably get one.

But is there anything I should be aware of there? Obviously if fairings are scratched, it has been dropped, but can this lead to other problems or is it purely cosmetic?
  10. I got mine off ebay, went and looked at it and made the guy an offer. Needed a few things for a RWC but still came up pretty cheap. Ive actually removed the front fairings because they were in shabby condition and rattled around alot.

I wouldnt worry too much about scratches on the fairings, its a good way to knock them down on the price and you will probably add a few of your own anyway! If they are just scratches, chances are its just cosmetic.
  11. if you want a cheap learner bike thats easy to throw about and very forgiving, I am selling my Virago...I've sorta outgrown her now.
    It needs the head stem bearings done, I have planned to get it done at the next service, but a price drop would fix that if you want to get it done yourself. $3500 with rwc....$3000 as is.
    PM me if your interested.
  12. I'd highly recommend, if you're not otherwise mechanically in the know, to get somebody who knows bikes to go look with you, when you've picked one or two your quite serious about. A cheap bike could turn expensive after the purchase! One half-way manner of warding off this problem, is to only buy something that comes (first!) with a RWC (but then, as those of us who have learnt the hard way understand, this is certainly no guarantee - you're basically dealing with used car salesmen!).

Also, get the most *capable* (power, speed) bike you can afford. Many first-timers under-judge what they need. But your perception of how much power you need, and of what seems most safe, changes quickly when you get out there in the thick of it. In the hands of a sensible rider, more capability *generally* equates to a safer bike.
  13. I just helped a friend buy a Virago as her first bike. It was my first ride of one (I've been riding it around a bit! :) ) and they're a really good bike - highly recommended, if you like with the cruiser style (which she and I do). Capable and fun bike.

A review comparing GPX250, CB250, and XV250 (Virago).
  14. Yeah, its really hard to judge so far. I mean, I know what I like the look of, but without my license it's extremely hard to make any kind of decision - i havent been able to ride anything!
    And its been YEARS since I was on a bike... I can barely remember how they work. ;-)

I was looking for a cruiser, but they all seem out of my price range, until just now that is... PM sent Caz hehe.

License is booked for mid oct so I'll be out and about then trying everything.
  15. Mine had done 78,000k's, and was still very strong. I think you should be wary, because I think the redbook states max value at $2250 - $2500 for the '88 Vt250f.
    They look the business, and I found it very quick, I'm 110kgs and I could get 'er up to 160 and (a little) beyond.
  16. reply sent to PM :wink:
  17. I got my 83 VT250f for $1200 with over a months rego and pinkslip and it goes great. it's light and really hard to brake (touch wood). :grin: and it only cost me $206 to insure
  18. hard to bake? thats not good :rofl: :p

cb250n are pretty good, plenty of go and dead easy to rebuild. enough grunt to pull up a half footer in my driveway!!
  19. 250's are cheaper in NSW due to the fact you have LAMS up there, here in VIC $3000 to $3500 is the average going rate for a registered RWC bike thats under 10 years old.
  20. As I mentioned to Caz, I'm not going to be doing speeds much above 100 anyway. I may be spending 3k on gear but even with that much protection, I don't like my chances of surviving if I come off at 160 :p

Aside from that, what is thie "redbook" you speak of?