Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cheap(er) Givi luggage

Discussion in 'Businesses and Service Providers' at netrider.net.au started by Motown, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Having finally talked the missus around to touring with me now that the kids are somewhat older, I came to realise the BMW top box just wasn't going to cut it any more. Too small and oddly shaped, it was time for it to make way for something bigger.

Something like this .....

imagethumb.
    ... the Givi E55 MAXIA 3. 55 liters of luggage swallowing top box.

Enquiries to a large, unnamed Melbourne business priced the top box on its own at $699. *splutter*
    As much as I'd like to support the local guy, that's a lot to ask*. There's got to be a better (aka cheaper) way in this global e-market, I think to myself.

Enter Motorcycleparts Hornig, from the lovely town of Cham, Deutschland. Those wacky Germans were willing to part with the above box for a mere €268 (about AU$340). In fact, I could get the mounting kit for my oilhead, the backrest and metal rack for about €360 (AU$460ish) which, remarkably, is cheaper than the locals can get it as I didn't have to pay the VAT. :D

As enticing as the thought of a trip to the Bavarian countryside is, I also decided to get it all delivered for the staggeringly modest charge of €50 (AU$60ish).

Armed with the credit card, I took the plunge and put my trust in Hans and his mates (there's got to be a Hans there, surely). Two and a half weeks later, it all arrived, safe and sound.

So, in summary and for those who found this TL;DR, I got the Givi E55 MAXIA 3 top box, seat pad, rack and mounting kit, delivered, from the other side of the world, for less than the top box alone would have cost me in the big smoke if I picked it up.

A big (y) to Hans and his mates.

PS: Hornig also sell through motorcycle-luggage-shop.com, windshield-shop.com and motorcycle-exhaust-shop24.com

*As an aside, I often buy gear in Ballarat that's cheaper online and in Melbourne. We need a local dealer in town, but there are limits to what I'm willing to do.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1