Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Featured Cheap cruise control

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by hornet, Mar 11, 2015.

1. As I've flagged in other threads, I've been looking for a way to rest my right hand on long trips; cruise control in my car has spoiled me!
    So as an experiment I bought one of these
    It was not expensive, arrived very quickly, and was easy to fit, so I was keen to try it out on the Jindabyne trip.
    The verdict?
    It's a pretty useful device on flat roads. The bike will keep to the speed you set, but as you'd expect, it doesn't feed in more throttle when the road rises, and it will have the bike speeding up when the road falls. This probably wouldn't matter too much if you were riding alone, but I found it distracting when riding in a group.
    Because it relies on friction between the device and the twist-grip, it's a bit difficult to get a 'just right' adjustment. I found it was always just a bit too fast, or not fast enough. As well, since it grips the twist-grip very tightly, I have removed it to avoid the chance of it damaging the elements in the Oxford grip...
    On balance, you certainly can get a few minutes respite from holding the throttle open with this device, and because it's so cheap and easy to fit, I'd recommend. However, if you are doing prolonged open-throttle touring, a proper electronic cruise would be the only choice.....

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. I've used a similar device - the omnicruise. It has an adjustable friction setting (screw) tighter / looser (yours looks like it might be spring loaded). I've used it with oxford heating grips, and all is still working OK so far. I have wondered about how much damage (if any) it may do to the elements, but I'm yet to find a post about someone who has used both and has had a problem, so fingers crossed.

I have found that after a while it will lose friction - and your speed will slowly reduce. (Normally when you go over bumps, etc) but has been handy to rest the hand for a while on flat roads. It has the benefit of being able to adjust the friction, but I wonder whether or not it would make a difference to have one that's more tension loaded like yours for the bumps.
  3. I use a cramp busta at the moment but I've used a Vista Cruise on previous bikes. There are actually quite a range of mechanical cruise control/throttle assist devices.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Im trialling an Omni-cruise, purchased last month. Have experienced some slip over rough roads, but good device for the highways. I'm happy with it so far.
  5. I've been using a Vista throttle lock for years - brilliant for those long boring stretches of road.
  6. I'll check'em both, thanks!
  7. What he said ^^^

Omni-cruise is well worth the extra dollars, but throttle rocker is not bad either :)
  8. Paul, just be done with it and join us on the BMW wagon, best cruise on a bike bar none. :)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. I've have big hands and don't like any of the lockers that take up space on the grip, I also didn't lie the idea of the Kaoko for fear of accidentally engaging it at the worst possible time. I had thought about getting an after market cruise control for my VFR12 as there is an Australian company that makes systems for a number of bikes, the price was reasonable but after looking at the install I decided not as there were a number of things that concerned me about the install and how it harm it could cause if it failed.

One option i was going to get regardless of which bike I bought was OEM cruise control which most the tourers come with from the factory as standard now.

long story short: I'd rather nothing than aftermarket throttle locks.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. I really want the 2015 BMW cruise control with the $25k S1000rr attached to it... :sour:
  11. Interesting comments about the BMW cruise control, they reminded me of my VERY cheap cruise control on my old K100RS.

Now the K100RS had been brilliantly designed to have a wee bit of vibration thru the bike at what the speedo claimed was 110KPH......just the thing for Australian conditions!

But, fortuitously, the throttle control had a "sticky" point, at an indicated 115 KPH.

If I let the bike settle at that speed, and gently removed my had from the twist grip, it would continue, at that speed, quite happily....except if the road got very bumpy.

<Sigh> I still, sometimes, miss that old bike.