Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cheap Chinese/E-Bay Levers and Mirrors

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Grrila, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Hi Guys,

I'm looking to put a bit of new bling on the bike. LED indicators, belly pan, pipe, levers and bar end mirrors. What gets me is the price difference between the name brand levers and mirrors and the cheapies you can get off e-bay!

Can anybody tell me their experiences with the cheap e-bay stuff or have the Rizoma gear and also have experience with the cheaper stuff? I just can't see how you can stuff up a lever or mirror to be honest.

The stock mirrors are actually really good with the z750 albeit they don't look great. They don't vibrate and you can see far enough behind you so I'm hesitant to buy new mirrors (thinking bar ends) if everything is going to look like a blur behind me.

Any experiences, good, bad and ugly would be good.

2. Hi Grrila, I've bought a cheap set of Chinese mirrors off ebay because I liked the look of them for my 2012 Z1000, I think the originals are the same as yours. The finish of the Chinese mirrors is not as good as the originals, also their range of adjustment is less than the originals. But I have been to set them up to get the position I needed. They sit about a 1/2 inch lower than the originals and eash sits about 1/2 further out than the originals. The field of vision that this improves is remarkable for me. As for vibration, it's no different to the originals.

I also bought some adjustable folding levers from China, for my Z1000. The colour, fit finish and adjustment are a match for the Rizoma and Pazzzo levers I've looked at, and the price was $54 delivered compared to $259 on special and what is normally $289 in the shops. Only a recent purchase so I can't tell you if the wear out quicker.

And then there is the Chinese Trail bike I bought. It arrived with a faulty current regulater and a leaking fuel tank. Still waiting for the replacement fuel tank. The fit and finish on the bike is quite rough, but hey, is was less than 1/4 of the price of a Yamaha of Kawasaki equivelent. I'll let you know how it goes when we get it out with the kids and nephews.

I've heard some stories of fairings and plastic parts bought off ebay to repair damaged bikes and the fit has meant making alterations to the pars and fitting.

So sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you get what you pay for.
  3. Thanks for the feed back. Have you got a link for the levers?
  4. Grrila,

On my previous bike (Buell XB12ss) I lashed out and went for CRG lane splitter mirrors and CRG rolla-click levers. They are the highest quality and mosty functional bits of gear I have owned. I have previously ran rizoma mirrors and there quality in my opinion is still good but not at the level of CRG.

As far as the chinese Ebay stuff goes my missus recently purchased a 30 buck pair of bar end mirrors for her Kwaka ER6N which I fitted. From a distance they look the goods but at a closer look you can really see the poor workmanship and cheap materials that go into making them. There is also no ability to adjust them on the go.

I stand by CRG so much that I have even fitted CRG levers to my Honda SP2.

At the end of the day it comes down to what you like and the age old saying "you get what you pay for"

Hope this helps. Cheers.
  5. I'm happy with my cheapie Chinese levers and mirrors. The mirrors have indicators in them, and their range of vision is better than the originals. Not bar ends tho.

The levers function well although the black faded to a bronze colour that actually looked awesome on my orange/black Zthou. After the accident I got the same ones again.

Can't say I notice the lack of workmanship much - not that I look hard.
  6. particularly with cast levers, the choice of alloy can make it too soft or too brittle, which could make the difference of it being unusable after a small stack = getting home or not.
    then there are casting/machining tolerances, may not fit well, have slop etc, no bushing so they wear faster...

does it matter? if they fit and work, probably not :)
  7. I've had a couple of poor experiences with cheapy ebay bits, namely a tail tidy (that required some elbow grease and deft hammer fabrication to fit) and some led lights (one pair of which worked fine, the other didn't).

If you are going to ebay it, see if you can locate feedback for the same item from the same seller and see what the buyers are saying - that might help..
  8. Agree, I got CRG Arrow bar end mirrors and they are top notch, no vibration with an excellent view behind and quality construction. They are expensive but there worth it. I had these on my Er6n and now on the Z1000 and if your looking at bar ends for me its a no brainer. Not the best for filtering however, especially on the Zed.

I bought cheaper Chinese levers and so far are pretty good. I dont usually skimp on my toys but I figured that you cant really fcuk up a solid piece of aluminium with nearly zero moving parts, provided its the same grade as the expensive stuff. The research and reviews I read backed that up.
  9. Looks like I will have to check the feedback section for any bad fits and poor QC. Thanks all!
  10. I bought mirrors for the VFR from eBay. They were supposed to be 40mm bolt centres, but of course they weren't. So I customised them to fit, and they are ok, better than the horrible rubber-gaiter original mirrors. You get what you pay for.
    And I also bought some elcheapo leathers, they have been great, haven't had a stitch break...
  11. Hey Grrila,
    Another Brissy Z750 owner here. I'd be keen to hear how you go with purchasing levers & mirrors off e-bay. Am looking to do similar mods to mine. I have read that the stock bar-ends can be a biatch to remove.
  12. I have got a set of Chinese leavers on my bike. They didn't fit at first I needed to grind them a little to get them to fit in, would not recommend if you are not confident in your ability to make adjustments.
  13. Big difference in quality, if you can't tell the difference between a Chinese knock off and a Rizoma genuine...you're not looking very hard.
    I've used SDR levers, they're ok, nothing flash but well priced and built for the coin.
    Best levers I'm yet to see to date are ASV's, leave Pazzo for dead!
  14. #14 Grrila, Jul 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
    So what are people's recommendations for best bang for buck? Say going for the mid range of the brands or the lower end of the good stuff. In car terms the Calais of the luxury cars so to speak.
  15. I too have had a few serious issues with those Chinese levers. Didn't last even 3 months on my Ducati 1098. Uses a V-Strom these days and have promised myself that there aint gonna be no Chinese parts on my new bike, EVER!
  16. Had adjustable folding levers from Taiwan on my ol Ninja 1000 . Fifty odd bucks and were great. I've got SDR on my Daytona and they are great too.
  17. Ive had 3 pairs of chinese levers on 3 different bikes. 1 set was a tiny bit too tight for the master cylinder opening but just required 1 min of work with a flat file to have it fit nicely. The other 2 sets fit perfectly. The oldest set I'm running are probably 6 or ore years old have faded a little, so the Black is now a little brown. For $30 delivered I say they are awesome though
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. I have cheapie Levers myself, they held up well after a slight lowside, scraped the ball slightly, however they are still together, about $30 for my ninja 250r rather than the $500 for the same colour Pazzo or ASG
  19. Yep. All three of mine have "the2wheels" levers.

Did have to file the clutch lever for the XJR a touch, though.