Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Chart - current bikes' power, torque & price

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by mendosi, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Hi everyone

I got a little bored, so I decided to create this infographic which plots all the different models available from Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Triumph and Yamaha according to their price, peak torque and peak power.

I always found it difficult to get my head around so many models available at any one time, so this was as much an exercise for me as for anyone else.

Enjoy, and if you have any questions, this is the place to ask.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/94041997/2012 Australia bikes.pdf
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Nice way of representing the data :)

I think for a reference for the noobs it would be good to filter out non-LAMS bikes as well.
  3. Why stop there ? Ducati ? Moto Guzzi? Aprilia ? etc ?
  4. Nice analysis, enjoyed that.

So, I conclude from my rose coloured glasses reading of this that my Kawasaki Versys 650L wins, excellent! hahaha
  5. hehe.. love the rocket III's torque level
    it really is an engine with two wheels bolted on.
  6. Nice stuff.... what program did you use to generate the infographic?
  7. Created in Illustrator.

I was thinking of adding some interactivity by using Acrobat but those features aren't fully supported on all computers.

Getting too crowded!
  8. Whats with the 2 bikes at the bottom, the YZF-R6 and the GSR750. Is that a misprint or is the torque level really lower then cb125?
  9. Can't find torque figures. If you know where to find let me know.
  10. This is really cool. It'd be even better if you could hover a mouse over each bubble and get a picture of the bike with some information about it.
  11. mm wasnt expecting the cruisers to be that competitive,
    air cooled v twin - mine is no. 26 isnt looking to bad )
  12. Max torque vs HP should be a pretty straight line (barring bikes with stupidly low rev limits like the gold wing etc).. For my 2c, I'd rather see something like power or max torque vs weight (including an average rider), or something along those lines .. That way you could draw a boundary around the "LAMS" area, and compare with 600 class bikes, the litre+ bikes etc etc.. :)

Awesome work though.. I love seeing data visualised in interesting ways like that..
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Doesn't factor in weight and therefore cruiser sluggishness
  15. Torque and horsepower are related, more or less, by the formula:

Hp = torque * rpm

Kw = (Nm * rpm) / 9554
    hp = (ft-lbs * rpm) / 5252

Because of the simple relationship between torque and hp, it's reasonable to expect that the line should be pretty straight.

In fact, assuming a reasonably flat torque curve (or torque at least near max torque being available at the peak hp rpm), the key factor in the divergence from a straight line in the upper right quadrant of the graph given seems to be the rev limits of the bikes involved...
  16. Thing is, though, the chart compares *peak* torque to *peak* power, and those two phenomena occur at different revs.

You'd only expect a dead straight line if the revs were the same for both phenomena.

And different engine configurations will (I think) have both different 'gaps' in terms of revs between the peaks and different 'flatnesses' of curves (which last is why peaks are interesting but in many ways not that useful in real-world terms).
  17. Updated to include torque of R6 and GSR750.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/94041997/2012 Australia bikes v1.01.pdf

If I had Illustrator at home I could do lots of interesting stuff like everyone has suggested, but otherwise I have to make changes during my lunch break.

I like the idea of filtering this chart for LAMS bikes, and I also like the idea of plotting all the LAMS bikes according to KW/Kg and $/KW/Kg. So maybe look for v.2 soon.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Good on ya mate.
  19. This is a great tool! Can anybody provide info on how those prices relate to ride-away price? Is there much variation between the extra's for the different brands/price or is it just a straight $500?