Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Charging NiCADs

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by stigger, Feb 28, 2009.

1. I have a 3.6 volt battery back that I need to charge but I don't have the charger any more can I charge it with a 5v one without breaking it???

2. doubtfull. You will probably find it will overheat, and maybe boil the batteries. Your best bet may be Ebay, or if you know what amps it requires to charge, a universall adapter maybe.

3. + 1. NiCad batteries and NiMh batteries will overheat and fail if overcharged. Lithium Ion batteries will explode. It pays to take care when recharging and use a suitable charger.

Both NiCAD and NIMh use a change in output voltage to sense when the battery is fully charged. This is because the charge characteristic is for the voltage to peak just before full charge and then start decreasing. This peak is detected by the charger. so the voltage should be matched to the battery pack.

4. Go to Dick Smiths with the battery, match it with the correct charger and buy it.