Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Charging Bike Battery

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by glipschitz, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Hi all,

Well I popped over to my bosses place to check out the bike he's giving me and the battery is a bit kaput because he hasn't ridden in a while due to a few slipped disc's in his back.

So, the question is, I have a charger that I use on SLA (Sealed Lead Acid) batteries and car/truck batteries that float charges them, would it be the same to charge the bike battery?? Standard 12v battery??

Your thoughts please :)

2. I am not too sure, but I did charge my scooter battery which is 12V as well as car and I just use the jump start lead which normally use for car. But the bike battery are a lot smaller, so the clips maybe too big, I changed them to a smaller clips which could firmly clip on the bike battery.

But just becareful when you do it with the + and -.

Hope that would help

3. I used a standard car battery charger for charging bike batteries with no ill effect.

Providing they are not over charged it should be safe
  4. It's a float charge, so once it hits about 13v it just floats.

A 12v Battery generally floats at about 13.4 - 14v

5. battery charger

be sure to run the charger on low setting or you could boil the battery.
    most standard batt. chargers are not designed to charge low ah batteries as fitted to most bikes.

6. Paul,

Any idea how many amp hour the bike batteries are??

7. bike batteries

if you arte using an arlec 4 or something similar it should be fine as most smaller bike batteries ar only rated at about 40 - 60 ah a 12 volt cordless drill charger is what you want ,modified of cours to have + & - wires & clamps. as these chargers only supply milliamps they should charge your battery fine. even with a small car charger like the arlec 4 they should only be used to boost charge for no more than an hour or so.
    also by fitting a battery desulphator ( avail through most solar shops for about $130.00 ) you will be amazed at the increase in battery life.
  8. the label on the bike battery should specify the charging current required. if you dont go past that, no worries.
  9. Greg,

Actually the biggest bike batteries are only about 22 Ahr.

16 is more usual and 18 on the bigger end of the scale
  10. Push start and go for a 4 hour ride :)

What a great excuse!
  11. SLA charger will be fine.

Batteries take an enormous amount of punishment. Ever looked at the waveforms generated by a car or bike regulator?

How do I know? Over the last 20 years I have designed and manufactured 8 different commercial "bulletproof" power supplies for essential services systems requiring standby batteries, 6 of which are still in production (parts became hard to get for the other two).
  12. good

i did the same,it works all the time mate :D
  13. if in doubt, get yourself an oxford optimate 3 or datatool bike battery charger.

both can be left connected to the battery indefinately and keep it in tip top condition.
  14. Unfortunatly this while alot of fun :D wont always work.
    most bike charging systems are only designed to maintian the battery,
    and wont fully charge a dead battery no matter how far or long you ride.
    It'll put a surface charge on which will be enough to prob get one or to 'hot' starts.

Best to put it on charge over night :)
  15. Hey glipschitz,
    As stated before, you can use the charger on a bike battery, but watch for over heating of the cells, can run it dry.
    A SLA charger usually runs at 14.5v charge, (the ones I have seen)
    and the max charge for a working regulator for a bike is around 13.6v,
    The best charge is trickle type for small Lead Acid batteries, does not heat the cells as much,
    So a small car charger does well, 4 amp peak, 2.4 amp RMS.
    Is slower but can extend battery life.