Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

characteristics associated with engine setup

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by nibor, Mar 16, 2009.

1. i love my v-twins. to be honest that's all i've ever rode, 'cept for dropping of an i4 250 into the city when a mate sold it. but as i near the end of my licence restrictions, my options open up. there are so many more bikes out there than VTR250s :LOL:

i however, dont know much about them. but i want to. i know my v-twin is nice and torquey, pulls well for its size, but has a limited top end due to that. not too high revving, and engine braking galore.

i dont know the characteristics assoicated with other engine types. well i know a little of some, but not as much as i want to.

for instance single pot thumpers, i am assuming have alot of engine braking, torque almost anywhere, low revving, and a very limited top speed. as i said this is a guess, fill me in :)

v-twins, well i know a bit about them, and i love them.

v4's such as the RVF400, well someone once said to me, think of a v-twin, and double the fun :twisted: that doesnt put it into much definition though...

parallel twins (inline twins?) - i know the TRX is this, and they seem like a hoot. but again i dont know much about it definitively.

triples, well theyre described as the best of both worlds between the vtwin and the i4. usable torque thoughout, but not lacking in top end as much. but again i dont know mcuh about them.

and inline 4's - the first i saw up close was a mate's cbr250r. it sounded like it was approaching Mach 1 coming around the corner in my street, winding out the revs, yet only looked to be doing 35km/h. the little riding i have does tells me they need revs to do much, but once you do get them wound up, theyre nice and responsive. all the power and torque is in the top end of the range, and speed generally isnt an issue. engine braking is minimal, and they rev like there is no tomorrow!

are there any more common engine setups that i've missed?
    any characteristics that i should like to know? im sure that i've missed alot, as i didnt know much to begin with.

im just trying to start thinking about the type of bike i want next, and what else is there that i might like that i dont even know about yet. im pretty sure it wont be a faired bike, or an i4. but i dont know what it will be :grin:
  2. Hey Nibs, because I like you I won't delete this and make you write it again :p Don't just dump in General Discussion please mate.

I can't answer anything technical about the different types of bikes but I was the same as you at the same stage of my riding career. I'd only ever ridden V-Twins and loved them to the point of obsession. I couldn't understand why anyone would want to ride, say, an inline 4. They just didn't sound as meaty as a twin and by all accounts didn't have the torque available that a twin does. I just went out and rode as many different bikes as I could on as many different road types and learnt about the differences that way.

As you know I settled on a 600RR. Plenty of torque, midrange and flickability. Extremely easy to ride and forgiving if respected, while at the same time an animal when wound up :twisted: I'd offer you a ride of mine while I'm over here ( the bike is at my brothers place) but I've seen your crash record champ :p

Just get out and ride whatever you can and don't worry too much about the details of each type of bike because in the end, they're all good. It's just personal preference :)
  3. ahhh cheers, i wasnt too sure if it was in the right section or not, i spose this one makes more sense :oops:
  4. I think the standard response to these kind of q's is, test ride, test ride, test ride. We can tell you all the various characteristics, which you seem to have pretty much nailed, but the "feeling" and wether or not it suits you, is personal. right?
  5. You've got a pretty decent overview there, though there's really no substitute for a ride to give you a real visceral sense of the characteristics of an engine.

I know when I went from the Spada (v2) to the GSXF400 (i4) I never gave it anywhere near enough revs for the first month or two, because it sounded as though it was screaming all over the rev range, but once I realised where the fun was - it was a lot of fun.

The other factor that plays out is capacity, of course, as well as tune. An i4 250 is going to be a scream machine in the power band and have almost nothing out of it, but an i4 1000 is a different kettle of fish and generally has plenty of low down grunt.

Something like my Bandit 1200, which is an i4 and based on an ooold GSXR motor, uses different cams and fueling to have a broader, flatter power and torque curve. It doesn't have the peak power of the supersport 1000s but has plenty of grunt around town... so i4 does not at all have to mean 'nothing down low'.

There are a few technical reasons to do with the mechanics of the crank that make a triple even more 'best of both worlds' than just the fact that it shares some good characteristics with both 2s and 4s, and they're well worth checking out.

But as I said, no real substitute for a ride.
  6. The truth is that with tuning, porting, bore/stroke, etc, etc, that pretty much any engine type can have whatever power curve characteristics you desire it to. Certain engine format types only lend themselves to certain power curves more because that's how certain manufacturers tend to tune them.

My old 2000 model R1 had more low-end, mid-range, and top-end than my old VTR1000F, despite one being an I4 and the other a V2. The power pulses of the big V2 definitely gave the impression that you were being thrust along by two very big strong unevenly pulsing hammers, while the I4 was more of a linear high-frequency buzz, but if you put both on a dyno and the truth came out.

There is therefore the disjunction between rider perception and reality, and much of what people talk about tends to be more of a feeling through the seat, rather than a measured curve.

Go ride whatever bike you think you might like, and appreciate it for how the engine is tuned.
  7. You need to get out there and ride some different bikes, the differences between engine configurations are highly subjective in respect to "feel". Coming off a 250, most larger bikes will feel like they have plenty of power.

If you like the vtrs but want something larger at a reasonable price, the SVs would be a good place to start your test riding.
  8. Yeah i think it is the tuning. Had a z750 which pulled linearly from low revs and now a gsxr750 which is non-existent under 6K but then rapidly builds frantically.

Personally i love high reving machines as i find them more exciting. Haven't ridden any v-twins though.
  9. A massive +1.

A 250 single MX single makes no power down low, revs to 13000+, and needs to have the tits revved off it. Same goes with my vtwin, oversquare stroke/bore, not much engine braking, rev the tits off it.
  10. The Aprilia is a comparatively high revving v-twin. Revs to 11k and makes power all the way there. But it doesn't have the top end rush of the Fireblade.

Robin, go out and ride. Coming from the VTR though, even an asthmatic 600 will seem powerful and torquey. Compare it to an 1000 though and you'll be in shock. But then take my bike out and the 1000 (if it's a modern top end Superbike) will seem weak.

Horses for courses. Great fun to be out there trying all the bikes though.
  11. so who wants to lend me their bike for a test ride? :grin: :grin: :grin:

mmm i know alot will have to do with a test ride and see how it actually feels, also riding style and comfort on different bikes will play a factor in my choice. but im trying to work out as much as i can before i reach the test ride stage, because that cant begin until mid May.

does fuel consumption rates vary evenly between engine types to a certain extent in larger bore bikes, or does it really depend on the tune of the engine etc?
  12. That depends on capacity and you're right wrist :LOL: