Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Character of machine rubbing off on rider

Discussion in 'Scooters' started by CrazyCam, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Hi folks.

As some of you may be aware, I am currently riding a ferocious two-stroke scooter that belongs to a friend.

Anyhow, after two days in a row, riding the Gilera, I am absolutely fascinated by the effect that it has on me.

Other bikes that I have ridden give you reasonably controllable messages as to how they want to be ridden.

My BMW expects, almost demands, to be ridden in a gentlemanly fashion.
    That doesn't translate to slowly, but, like a proper gentleman.

The Triumph 675 wants, and makes it known to the rider, that it would like to be ridden in a fairly "spirited" fashion, but it can be controlled.

My Z50, whuich I can't actually ride nowadays, sez.... go for it, ride me as fast as you can..... but, at it's size it isn't too life threatening.

But Zebee's Gilera makes me ride like a drug crazed 16 year old!

Trust me, I have vague memories of the '60's and know of what I speak.

On Pennant Hills Road, on a big bike, I can idle along, minding my own business, keeping out of trouble, but, on the scooter.....there is a space....I'll have it..... there is half a space..... fine, I'll have that too..... there is a quarter space that may, or may not, open up....
    fcuk it, I'll have a go at that as well.

I KNOW I shouldn't ride this way, but it's all the fault of the Gilera.

Heading up to Pie in the Sky, yesterday, going through Cowan, there was a row of rubber cones at the side of the road. Something to do with hole-diggery on the side of the road.

I just couldn't resist doing the zig-zag round the cones.

Today, I really, really, tried, but ...(shrug) I did it again, and had a really stupid grin on my face when I got to Pie.

It is really, stupidly and excessively FUN!

In a kind of warped way, I can't help but feel sorry for folk who ride the dog's dick type motorcycles, capable of 300 kph, but don't really get the feeling of FUN until they are up at the "go directly to jail" speeds.

The push bike trip computer fitted to the scooter, so far tells me that I have achieved a maximum speed of 117 kph, but it is just brilliant.
    • Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Awesome
  3. Absolute classic !
  4. I know the feeling, at almost 60 I bought myself a second hand 250cc Burgman, the feeling of leaving everything behind up to 80KPH is a buzz. More of a buzz than when I used to take my Norton 750 Fastback over 100MPH
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I'm aware that this is an old thread,
    but reading it brought back memories of my teenage years.
    I can relate exactly what CrazyCam is talking about.

I started out like an example scooter rider, sticking to the speed limits and riding where and how I was supposed to.
    A few months later I had turned into a hooligan, any space was big enough to dive-bomb yourself into.
    Driving on the footpath to cut a corner and a set of lights was perfectly normal, as was tailgating cars to jump the red lights.
    Popping the odd wheelie when launching over a gutter scaring the crap out of cyclist was a weekly thing.
    Lanesplitting / weaving thru traffic was the most normal thing to do on a scooter, it was the fastest way to get to where you were going.
    Scooters are extremely fun to ride and with some tuning they leave every normal car/bike for dead of the line at the lights.

I miss riding it, but I don't see it ending well if I would ride one now like I used to as a teenager.
  6. I know this thread is a few years old now, but I had to chuckle coz 2 months ago, at almost 60 I bought myself a second hand 250cc Burgman, and I'm lovin' it.

The Burgie is so addictive, even though I have a 900SS. A lot more accessible too.

I'm amazed how quickly I've bought into the Scooter life.
    • Like Like x 1

7. I am a bit older again, but I have also found the way back to scooters and have tried a few before I bought a Silverwing 600. It's the most fun I have had in decades8). In the car I used to hate it when I was send shopping; now I can't wait for an excuse to take the SW out for a spin. I have also joined the US based Silverwing forum and I am amazed at the age of the average rider. 70 plus is nothing unusual. First I wondered: how come all these old guys are still riding maxi-scooters? Then I realized that they are still riding, because the ride maxi-scooters.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. #8 ozboater, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
    He he... I'm just the same now - about groceries, I mean. Any excuse to go out on the scooter is jumped at. Today, wife and I had to go into Coffs (we live out of town) to pick up our daughter's car (wife drove it back home), and I detoured to the supermarket to do the groceries, coz you can fit SO much under a Burgman seat. The trip home has 40kph, 50, 60 80, 100 and 110 zones, depending which way you go, and the Burgie is fun on all of them.

I'm now going to check out the Silverwing - hadn't been aware of it before. I'm in the slow process of re-evaluating my bikes now that I have so wonderfully embraced the joy of scootering. At the moment, the Burgie 250 is a sweet spot do almost anything vehicle. Only letdown for me is it is non-ABS, and though it will do 120kph on the freeway, it doesn't feel like the engine is built for sustained freeway speeds. I am happy to ride it on the highway, though.

We currently have 3 x 2 wheeled vehicles, Ducati 900SS, Monster 695 and Burgman 250. Wife also rides, so we do need 2 bikes, and truly I don't know which of the Ducatis to keep, and am even thinking of selling them both for a scoot bigger then the Burgman for me, for easier freeway travel. My brother loves his BMW 650GT, but amazingly, it weighs as much as his BMW R1200 RT. So, much as I'm attracted to the dream of an Aprilia SRV850 to replace the 900SS, the sheer weight makes me pause for a dose of reality - it is 100kg heavier.

Well, it is nice to have choices, and the time to choose, but it has been a revelation I had not anticipated since we got the Burgman 3 months ago. BTW, I've done 1200 km on the Burgie since purchase, including an ear splitting ride up Dorrigo mountain and back. It was so much fun.

But I understand perfectly, now, about the groceries.
  9. you mean under 180 right? cause more than that is go indirectly to jail via the front page.