Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Changing ZZR250 Fork Seals

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Schwer, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Has anyone managed to do this without using the extra-special Kawasaki tool? Basically, I've got up to the point where I have to remove the allen bolt from the bottom of the fork, but I can't get it to turn without the cylinder inside turning with it. The service manual says to use a special tool to hold the cylinder in place - I've followed some advice I found on google and substituted a broom handle, but it doesn't seem to be working that well - while the broom handle definitely does hold the cylinder to some degree, the allen bolt still doesn't come any further out.

Is there some tip or trick I'm missing, or am I going to have to throw in the towel and wait 3 weeks for some mechanic to do it?

2. The seal can be removed without dismantling the fork.
  3. Is that as difficult as it sounds?
  4. simple. Just dig it out. Doesn't matter if you wreck it in the process.
  5. just be careful ya dont scratch the hard chrome too bad. Its easy to get em out. If u really wanna strip em down, Weld ya allen key to a hunk of pipe.
  6. Ahh, couldn't get a grip. Taking them in tomorrow, thanks for trying everyone.
  7. I went through all this just a couple of months ago. Find yourself a mechanic, they should do it for you for $5-$10.