Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Changing the color in my instument panel...cbr250rr

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by Sweeris, Nov 30, 2007.

1. The other day I dropped by a wreaker and had a look at the back of a instument panel for my bike. I saw that the light globe is appoximately the same size and a 10mm LED. I'm kinda thinking of changing the globe to a LED. I would be sticking the LED with a resistor so I dont just melt the LED or fry any other wirings...

Has anyone done this or is it even possible to do it?
  2. Are you trying to change the instrument colours?

That is done through cutouts and filters in the instruments, rather than globes.

They sell new instrument dials with different cutouts and colours in europe, but I don't know if they have the 250rr available.. Then again, those instruments are very similar to some others...

Trevor G

PS You could try a filtered cap over the existing lamp - I have seen them but don't know if they are available for the lamps you need.
  3. I tried a similiar mod on the dash cluster in my car, and we found that when we replaced the existing lights with LED's (the sort you get from Autobarn that clip into the existing wedge style holders you would already have), that these LED's held a faily directional point of light, therefore losing the effect of the colour as I ended up with points of light across the console and cluster rather than an overall illumination.

I tried the silicone sleeves (condoms) available from Autobarn too. A lot cheaper at around $3 for a pack of 5 available in a variety of sizes. These gave me the effect I was looking for at simply changing the display colour, the only issue I have with them, is that after a while, the colour starts to fade on the sleeve itself and requires replacing.

If you have patience and don't mind replacing them when required, then they would be the better option in my opinion.

For the record, I replace them in the car every 6-10 months....

Aaron :)
  4. Presuming you mean t10 bulbs, then instead of the LED bulbs (which suck) or clear t10s you can get amber color t10s. Most servos have them, auto barn, supercheap etc. They give a nice redish orange hue.
    Pity you can't get blue and green etc in them :(