Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Changing Synthetic Oils

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by kennyc, Feb 5, 2010.

1. G'Day All

Currently, I'm changing the mineral oil on my CBR600F every 5-7000Kms or so and the filter on every second change. If I convert to a full synthetic oil, does anyone know how far I can push out these change intervals. I'm using the bike mostly for commuting at the moment (about 2 hours a day covering about 50Km in heavy traffic).

Thanks

2. I'd say your intervals are pretty long as it is... I try to do mine every 2-3K, but that may be overkill...

Hi by the way! Don't forget to pop over to the Welcome Lounge & say G'day!

3. depending on the bike... yeah thats definetly overkill.

a for a 600f the reco changes are about 5 or 6 anyway. id say keep them as recommended. oil is cheap in the end. I do over 100km a day commuting so i know the cost of oil and maint can be a pain but its cheaper in the long run than repairs or flogging a broken bike for nothing

4. I change the fully synth oil in my blade every 4000kms, filter every second oil change.

5. Filter every second change may be a problem if you pull out oil that isn't looking good (ie blackish or 'smoky'). Otherwise theres no problem there.

You can 'push' the oil maybe another thousand kay or two over stock recommended changes, but the sort of trips you're doing (short innercity stuff) are quite hard on an engine and I'd recommend sticking to the standard intervals - if not before.

Cheers - boingk

6. Dont think in terms of using synth oil to stretch out the service intervals, rather, use the cheaper mineral/semi synth oils and replace more often.

Dirty oil is dirty oil.

7. I cut my biking teeth on 70s Jap bikes, mostly Hondas ('cos they were cheap, which should have told me something :shock:). Oil change intervals over 2500 km make me wet my pants in terror, regardless of oil type :LOL:.