Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Changing rear-end ratio ?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by kazjim, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Hey fellow netriderinos ....

My VZ800 is nearly due for a rear sprocket change (getting visible wear...) and i thought that while I'm forking out for a new one, I might was well drop the final drive a little...

i do a fair whack of freeway work (about 200Klm / day) and I'm always searching for another gear.. so i'd like to drop the final revs by about 1000/1200 rpm at 110....

question: - are rear-sprockets very availavle in various ratios ? (tooth counts..) is there any commonality between other models that may make my choices easier ?

also, what sort of $$$ might i be looking at for a new sprocket / chain ?

I'm not real concerned about my accelleration at this point, this thing has enough torque to pull away in second at the moment !

Cheers all
    J

2. No-one ?

Please ? :oops:

J

3. If you go for aftermarket sprockets from...i.e. JT or AFAM, they'll usually have plus and minus options available. Sometimes you might've to jump to a different model (i.e., the current GSXR750 sprockets fit my DL1000 perfectly, both running 525sized chains).
    Get onto some good accessory-people like Max at BikeMart ion Ringwood, they know many in/ outs and options.
    Rear sprockets usually 50-60 bux, fronts 25-30, chains (let's pick a decent DID VM X-ring chain here) 130-200 depending on size and length.

4. your service workshop should have no trouble in sourcing an after-market sprocket, probably cheaper and better than OEM. Many people seem to prefer changing the front one (in your case you would be adding teeth) although this MAY alter your speedo reading depending on where the speedo drive connects to.
    In general, removing or adding one tooth to the front equates to doing the opposite to 3 on the back one.

5. gearing calculator, will tell you how many teeth you need to change in order to get the desired results :D

http://www.ozsportsbikes.com/page.php?file=tools.htm

seeing as the rear is visibly worn, it'd probably be a fair assumption that the front and the chain will need changing too so factor that in aswell. glitch is on the money with the costs there too, i've had them cheaper than that, but i guess it'll depend on how chummy you are with the shop :LOL:

changing the gearing is like getting a new bike 8)

6. Are you kidding? It won't wheelie any more!
    :LOL:

7. It made my little FZR alot more interesting. ;)
    2 teeth down on the front. (17 --> 15 = :LOL: :D :LOL: :D )

8. ...or like starting to ride around everywhere one gear lower than normal.