Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Changing Oils

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by kenny c, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Hi All

I've recently upgraded from a 1991 GPX 250 to a 1999 CBR600F which I bought through a dealer. The CBR had about 61,000 Kms on it when purchased and it's going to be due for an oil change soon.
    I was thinking of putting a synthetic oil in it but I'm not sure if this is consistent with what the previous owner did when he owned it.
    Does anyone know if there are ant pitfalls in putting a synthetic or semi-synthetic in a bike that has possibly run the last 61,ooo Kms on a mineral oil. I've heard somewhere this can potentially cause problems.

Thanks for any ideas.

2. Unfortunately synthetic oils should be pretty much used from day one. The problem faced with changing to synthectics from minerals after a substantial time will be oil useage. But that said i have also seen engines come good after a few oil changes. Synthetic oils keeep your engine alot cleaner, and provide much better protection, so you can give it a crack and see what happens without causing any major problems. :grin: