Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Changing oil isn't that easy

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Nocker, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Hey All,

I wasn’t sure if this should go in the maintenance or the noob forums so I put it here cause it was definitely a noob mistake(s) :oops:

Sorry for the long post but it is funny cause you can laugh at me and my mistake.

Anyway, I have had my first bike (GPX 250) for about 5 months now and have been doing the oil changes myself every 5,000km as is recommended. When I got the bike it had 6,500km on it.

I always do an oil change and general check of everything when I buy a vehicle so this was no different. I changed the oil and filter in the first week. Then when I got to 10,000km I changed the oil and filter again. This is where things went wrong. :cry:

I had the owners manual out and checked what I had to do each step of the way. I warmed up the bike and then removed the oil filter bolt. Some oil came out but not much. I was puzzled by this but kept going. I checked the oil level inspection hole and it was all the same colour. I thought that it was empty…. I was mistaken. I replaced the filter and bolted it back together. I then started adding the 1.9ltr of oil to replace the oil that I had just drained. The colour in the inspection hole didn’t change at all. I didn’t understand. So I put more oil… still no change. “SH#T†that was the last of my oil. I'm now piss@d off and frustrated :? . I went down to the servo and got another litre of oil. I was pouring it in then the oil started overflowing out of where I was pouring it in??? :shock: “Obviously it was overfull but how, the colour hasn’t changed in the inspection holeâ€, I asked myself.

So now I had to drain some oil out cause it was WAAAAAY too full. As I didn’t have a syringe I decided to tilt the bike over to get the excess oil out. I tilted the bike as much as I could without dropping it but there was still way too much oil in there to be correct. I then enlisted the help of my wife to help hold the bike. So we tilted the bike over as much as we could and I it got to a point where I could live with the oil level… just a little above the high mark.

So now it has come round to the 15,000km mark and I have just changed the oil again this weekend. Start the same process. Get out the owner’s manual and read through it again. This time I notice in one of the diagrams has another bolt that is pointed out… THE DRAIN BOLT :!: . I’m like “WTF! This is new, I haven’t used this one before. You idiot!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

So I go through the process again, correctly for the time. I think that I finally know how to change the oil in my bike :cool: It seems like a simple thing but maybe only for people who aren’t sloooow like me. :oops: :oops:

So has anyone got any tips on how to breathe properly… I’m probably not doing that right either.

2. So how did you get the oil out the first time if not out of the oil sump plug? Was it coming out from the oil filter attach point? LOL :LOL:

3. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Thanks for sharing mate, ya it just proves the point, read it 2 times and do/go over it 3 times.

Good on you for being persistent!

4. It's amazing how much oil comes out when you take the right bolt off. :LOL:

Ah well. Live & learn. :wink:

5. :rofl:

Nice story. Well worth the long post.

6. haha nice story...good lesson learnt.

7. Oil filter has usually got a one way ball valve.

Lesson learnt.

Good of you to share.

I usually forget to do up the drain plug myself :p

8. lol. i torqued it the wrong way on my first try. have you tried to clean the air filter element? the nut and the slip on drove me nuts today :LOL:

9. Rule one of learning mechanics from a book. Read it, read it again, have a look at what you're suppoed to do, read again, and only proceed if you fully understand! Some Kawasakis have TWO drain plugs as well, just to confuse you even more.
    But, you can't really do much damage with an oil change, just leave brakes etc alone for a while! :grin:

Regards, Andrew.

10. :rofl:

Nice story! I like the bit where you had to call your wife to help you out.

Shit happens, at least now you know for next time. :grin:

Jamie

11. No I haven't tried the air filter. I've read heaps of posts about it but it just doesn't click in my head exactly what I'm meant to do.

I'm definately aprehensive about that one :shock:

12. I think that I'm going to change the oil the correct way from now on. The bike seems to be much smoother after this oil change :grin:

13. a handy tip i worked out recently.

If you've overfilled your oil and need to get some out, and easy way to do it is using a pump dispenser from a handwash bottle. Make sure you clean all the handwash from it really well, then flush it out with oil to get rid of the water (sump oil works well). Just stick the tube down into your oil tank and pump away to get the oil out.

Much cheaper and more available than a syringe! the plastics that they use for them seem to be up to the task of dealing with hot oil, too.

Cheers,
    Phil

14. :shock: :? :eek: :( :roll: :LOL: :rofl: RTFM helps a lot :p
    at least you didn't turn the bike completely upside-down :rofl:

15. nice story :wink: hahaha

16. The problem is that I did read the manual lots of times :oops: .... like I said, I'm just a little bit slow.

I'm sure that if I could have put the bike upside down I would have, but would have hesitated ( for a moment ) as I'm sure that it would stuff the carbie or something :)

17. Don't feel too bad - here's my noob oil story...

Back when we weren't all environmental, I used to do my oil changes and then tip the old oil down the stormwater grate in the street outside the house. I'd catch it in a drip tray and carry it outside (usually spilling plenty because I like to have a beer when I'm doing these jobs).

My housemates complained about the oil on the carpet - stupid, nitpicky stuff like "can't you take it through the side gate instead of through the house" so I decided to simplify the process by doing the oil change in the street, over the grate. No need for a drip tray, no mess, no sulky housemates...brilliant.

The sump plug, copper gasket and quite a few spanners are now swishing around Melbourne's drain system. If you find a CB750 plug on the beach, please let me know.

I made sure this never happened again by adding a sieve over the grate. The house didn't really need the back flyscreen door and we weren't going to get our bond back anyway (the carpet was an issue, apparently).

18. Good story. Thanks for having the guts to share it with us. :grin:

19. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Read this and knew exactly what was comming. Did you think of this while you were having a few beers too? :p :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks Chairman, I did say at the start that you would all find it funny and be able to laugh at me! I knew it was pretty funny after I figured out what I did :!:

20. i remember the first service i ever did on the bike....spilled the oil all over the concrete floor. and on the tyre...i was so scared to ride it after lol...spent a good few hrs of my sat night cleaning the mess up :oops: