Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Changing lanes & T-intersection

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by smileedude, Jul 27, 2012.

1. My questions:

a) In NSW bus lanes are usually separated from other lanes by an unbroken line. There are occasionally areas of broken lines but these are few and far between to actually get in and out of a Bus Lane when you need to. Do the same laws that apply to other unbroken lines apply to these? I.e you are not allowed to cross them at all. Or are these special unbroken lines that allow busses, taxis and motorbikes to cross.

I cross these all the time and it is usually necessary but just wondering if a cop can really be an ass hole and book you for it.

b) Near my house there is a T intersection. Assuming it is a vertical T for descriptions sake, there is a stop sign on the left stem and the bottom stem. If I am travelling down the left stem and there is a car waiting on the bottom stem who has right of way? Is it a first come first go policy or does it revert to who would have right of way if there was no stop sign. So in this case the car on the bottom stem would have to wait for me on the left stem to stop and then to go through before they can go. I believe it is the second option but this has caused confusion and cars don't always wait.

2. Re: Share your mini road rules questions

Road Rule 147 d) says it is OK for bikes to cross the unbroken line on a bus lane

147 Moving from one marked lane to another marked lane across a continuous line separating the lanes

A driver on a multi-lane road must not move from one marked lane to another marked lane by crossing a continuous line separating the lanes unless:

(d) either of the marked lanes is a special purpose lane in which the driver is permitted to drive under these Rules and the driver is moving to or from the special purpose lane.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Re: Share your mini road rules questions

If by vertical you mean 'T', then I reckon Rule 67 3) a) says the car on the bottom stem should give way to anyone approaching on the left.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Re: Share your mini road rules questions

I believe in this situation it reverts to "give way to right" like at a roundabout as both of you are facing a stop sign. Generally discretion is the better part of valour anyway when you have 200kgs vs 1500kgs.
  5. Re: Share your mini road rules questions

If I'm not clear about a road rule then I can be pretty sure a lot of other people arent clear. And given the first 2 responces to this question have said opposites, applying caution is the best approach.
  6. Re: Share your mini road rules questions

I know this doesn't help you (or me really) but when I'm unsure about who has right of way, my fall back position is "might beats right".
  7. Re: Share your mini road rules questions

Knowing the rules enables you to ride assertively. That's not to throw caution to the wind, it just means that at a confusing intersection you don't have to negotiate with the other driver about who has right of way. Knowing that you have right of way you can proceed with confidence, anticipating that the other driver may not give way, as we do all the time anyway.

Or if you have to give way you can wave him through with purpose, without wondering if you've been pushed around.
  8. Re: Share your mini road rules questions

Cheers, exactly why I asked and why I set up this thread. And now I know I can feel more comfortable going through. There is also a large cycle way on this so I know if the other person doesn't get it right I have a huge escape route.
  9. Re: Share your mini road rules questions

There were some rule changes that might relate to this at some stage in 1994 IIRC (not sure if it was just Victoria or national).

I think currently the rule is the driver on the continuing road of the T junction has to give way to the right, so the bottom T would have right of way. For a T intersection with a give way on the left branch, this is the only interpretation that makes sense, since the other way would make the signs pointless. And of course there's the other fun one, if the sign were on the right branch, who would go first? Are you game to turn right in front of someone facing a give way sign?

Road designers shouldn't build such uncertainty into intersections in the first place - ideally T intersections should only have one controlled access point, and + intersections two (of the same type).

One rule I'm sure was changed in 1994 was who has right of way when turning right from a give way sign at a + intersection when the opposing driver is at a stop sign.
  10. Re: Share your mini road rules questions

Please be careful with language/advice in this thread. The ARR (from which I believe most state's rulesets are now harmonised) do not recognise the concept of 'right of way'. That is an American concept.

Instead, the rules refer to 'which vehicle must give way'. While it's 99% the same thing, the 1% could trip you up.
  11. Re: Share your mini road rules questions

What are these 'rules' you speak of?
  12. Re: Share your mini road rules questions

The rules are amended all the time.
    There is the national road rules...a joke.
    And then each state has something similar to QLD's TORUM. Transport Operations Road users manual. Not a bad thing to google to find your road rules. It has all the amendments.
    As I said tho. Vic, NSW etc will have their own version. Because we still don't have a united national road rules.
  13. Re: Share your mini road rules questions

some rules for cars i think
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Bus lanes in SA are generally not allowed to be used unless your entring a driveway, turning left or a vehicle break-down. I don't think we have 24 hour bus lanes over here and most would cover day light hours. Some are limited to peak traffic times only.

In SA at a 'T' junction all traffic on the ending road (verticle stroke) must give way to all traffic on the continuing road. Some ending roads have a Stop sign depending on traffic density on the contining road.

In the case you described re T junction then the give way to right rule applies. However, if you stopped at the sign, proceeded to turn right and had to stop for a car on the right stem who was travelling through the junction then you have right of way as you have all ready entered the intersection. Once your front wheels have crossed the stop line then traffic facing a stop sign on your right must give way.

This one of the reason SA changed the rules as it was to confusing.
  15. People on the right always have the right away unless you get there before them