Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Changing Idling speed with temp.. cbr250rr...

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Sweeris, Jun 11, 2007.

1. I cant say its a problem but it just seem odd to me.

When my bike is cold it'll b idling at 1000rpm or jus under if very cold. If the bike is warm it'll b idling at 1700rpm but if its getting very warm or getting hot it'll idle at 2000rpm or alittle over. During this time I didnt touch the idling thingy at all so im kinda wondering if its normal or anything I need to do about it?

2. id say its noraml happens on all my bikes..
    My guess is metal heats up expands giving u more compression (somewhere) resultin in higher RPM
  3. probably your idle speed was set when the bike wasnt fully warmed up, have a check around for the correct idle speed and when it is fully warmed set it to thet (of course the correct idle speed could be 2000rpm, but i doubt it)
  4. Well the idling speed is set twice alreay in the past 2months. Once by the shop i took it for service. Jus after the ride there and once couple days ago while I was sitting still in trafic. Once I set the idleing speed it jus crept back to 2000.

Is there any chance of the idleing setting changing when I ride it?
  5. Idles do flutuate a bit. Sometime due to weather, also air density and altitude. All because of the varing characteristics of oxygen.

Set it at a nice idle when warm, Not sure what cbr sit at, but i reckon around 1500 plus minus 150rpm.

Idle might vary cause ur carbs are not balanced. Might need a tune
  6. the idle speed knob turns a little cam on the carbies (which opens and closes the gap of course) sounds like the plastic cam on yours has worn and keeps slipping to 2000rpm (probably a flat spot at that point)

an ex netrider had the same problem with her gpx, but it would creep to 3200rpm (way too much) but 2000 is ok - if you can live with it dont worry about it.

if not see if you can get a non worn adjuster froma a wreckers or importers (prolly have to by the whole carby set up from a wreckers though)
  7. Thanks for all the replies..

Initialy I was thinking of just different conditions of riding as in air temp/engine temp but as slugile said I might have some worn bits and pieces in my bike so ill jus do some checking out what it is.

I can live wit it jus idling at 2000 but more than that I might hav 2 do something abt it.
  8. Hey,

Sweeris, call that guy if you wanted to check, but I was always told with a cbr250rr the normal idle rev will be between 1500 and 2000, and will fluctuate (its hard to describe) but will go something like; low low low low high low low low low high low etc...

And yes its carbie related, but was told thats how they were from factory. :)