Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Changing handlebars in VIC

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by T4Tom, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Hi, I have a question about changing handlebars in VIC.
    I have a 2001 XJR1300 and want to change to clip on bars, is this ok in VIC?
    I've had a read through some of the documents for handlebar requirements. It seems to be ok in VIC but not in NSW. But I'm not sure if I'm missing something, Could I get some help with clarification?

2. There are dimensional requirements, but without being able to see/measure what you're asking about, it's a bit like trying to answer the question "how long is a piece of string?" That being said, you'll probably have to dish out the sides of your tank to allow enough space to get the full range of motion of the steering head.
  3. Thanks Danny, what dimensions could I provide to help?
    I'll try to load some photos.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. thanks,

The new bars would be 740mm wide, so that fits inside the 500-900mm limit (X).
    The other measurements are all within the stated limits too (Y,Z).
    Are the limits to stop really big bars being put on? most seem to say "not greater than".
    Would I be correct in saying that changing from a one piece bar to clip ons is ok as long as they fit inside the stated limits?

Here's the look I'm going for:

5. As long as they were secure and met all of the dimensional requirements I cant see why they wouldn't be allowed, best to consult you state's transport authority to be sure though

They are what has been determined to be the upper and lower limits suitable for the safe operation of a motorcycle, so yes, they do (when followed) stop the fitting of excessively wide and excessively high bars that can effect you control when riding
  6. Thanks for the help guys. I really like the support and assistance people get on Netrider.

I'll speak to VicRoads this week and hopefully get a good response.
  7. My stock Blackbird clipons look just like that, But mine sit on top of the yoke, not underneath like you have, Yours are stock for quite a few different bikes, I cant see you having any problems with them, If you like Clipons, I am going the other way, Clipons to Risers, Mine is not a Track Bike,