Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Changing grips

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by takagawa, Feb 22, 2005.

1. I'm currently typing at 10wpm, my right hand bandaged up with a few blocks of ice. I tried to change my grips today, taking the old ones off was easy. But putting the new ones on with the 'scotts grip stick' nearly tore off all the skin on my hands.

I've got the left handle one on with glue, but there's a 5mm gap between the end of the grip and the indicator housing. I then tried with the throttle, I decided to put the glue on later. But after much knashing of teeth, I've still only managed to get it close to 5mm.

I must be doing something wrong because goddamn it can't possibly be this hard to change over to a new pair of grips.
  2. It is a prick of a job, I never use any type of grip glue, I take the old ones off and just wet the new ones with a bit of water and put them on, it is still not an easy job but I have never had any problem with them moving. Make sure you don't push the throttle one on too far as this wll stop it return to idle once you let it go, there needs to be a couple on mm gap
  3. Contact adhesive, but slip the grip on while both surfaces are still wet. Nice and slippery, but glues solid.
  4. i use spray paint, same thing as the silicone and the glue :D 2 mountain bikes and the XJR have dulux black spray paint under the grips here.
  5. Contact adhesive is the go IMHO ;)

(The last pair of Renthal road grips I bought came with a tube of contact adhesive which was excellent - but any good contact adhesive will work well)

As previously mentioned - the adhesive makes a great lubricant, and the grips slide on very easily. You then have a short period of time to get them "just right" and then allow it to cure.

You don't need very much. Just smear a little on the bar (very little) and a small coating on the inside of the grip. As you push the grip on, it will work itself down along the inner wall of the grip. If you have any mess squeeze out, it can be readily wiped of with turps or prepsol.

Once it's cured, it provides a very stable bond.

When it comes time to remove them and replace with new grips - just make a cut lengthwise down each grip, then peel them off.

A little prepsol will easily take care of any remaining adhesive, then you just install the new grips using the same method.

6. It was recomended in the two wheels mag once that WD40 is the best, it works as a lube when you put them on, and when it cures it makes the grip stick.
    Although I must admit that I have never tried it to know if it works or not!