Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

changing gears with out clutch??

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by malenko, Jun 17, 2008.

1. I was going for a ride earlier today and I noticed that I could switch up into a higher gear with out using the clutch, I still needed the clutch to shift down though. Is this a signal that the clutch is on the way out? or is this nothing out of the ordinary? I am only asking cos I am still new to bikes and when I could do this in my car it meant I needed a new clutch.

I ride a 2007 GPX and I was wandering if I should take it in and get it fixed under warranty or should I not worry about it and change gears as normal and just tell them about it when the next service is due... which is another 5000km
  2. It's normal - The vast majority of motorcycles have a gearbox with large dogs to engage the gears, which can be clutchlessly shifted much more easily than a synchromesh gearbox.

Nothing mechanically wrong with the bike.
  3. +1 Spots.
    Mal', do a search on this, there's a very good post on it that only finished about a month ago.
  4. sweet, thanks heaps guys.
  5. Informative, and entertaining.

I suggest you skip pages 2 though 576 though.
  6. And the above post as well, for irrelevance :roll:.
  7. Yep, skip the thread with Bonox in it... well, I think it was bonox... I was so scarred I've blotted it out of my mind :LOL:

...but the rest are ok. :grin:

Malenko, welcome to sequential shifting. In time you'll be shifting down as well... it gets a bit clunkier though in that direction. Good choice of bike mate... treat the GPX right and it'll treat you right... I kinda miss mine, even after all these years.
  8. +12312367465453234651442347654314213526352413 what everyone ontop said

yep you can shift up and down without the clutch... just takes a bit of practising etc.
    shiftin down without a clutch requires a bit of practice because if u stuff up the rear locks up

the most interesting clutchless upshift downshift i had was when i had a little bingle and sorta damaged my left hand. so i had to limp home with only 1 hand available
  9. Quick!
    Someone call a mod. :LOL:
    Another irrelevant post!

Hmm... yes, anyway.

You get the hang of clutchless shifting after a few attempts.
    Keep at it and you might find you like it better than the old way.
  10. But wouldn't clutchless shifting wreck the bike. On my first bike (a road trail) i broke the clutch lever right at the lever so i had no clutch, and i had a 30klm ride home...

Flat shifting, bit harsh, couldn't stop at traffic lights so i tried to take the route with less lights home, i had to run a few red lights but is was pretty safe :eek:

Once i got home... Bike's clutch was slipping, i couldnt get up a 15 degree hill hahaha. Ended up selling the bike and made money :grin:

Maybe its a different story with road bikes, but i still wouldn't be doing it for fun or experimentation.
  11. No.

Ham fisted clutchless changes like your effort, is what wears out clutches.

Road/trail, makes no difference if it's a sequential box.
  12. maybe you werent blipping while changing?

i have no idea ... someone here can explain it wayyy better for you then me!

13. What had you been drinking??

Seriously, the clutchless shifting had nothing to do with the slipping clutch.

If anything, that would have had something to do with the broken lever or poor adjustment of the clutch freeplay prior.

Providing you do it precisely and quickly it won't hurt anything...just back off momentarily on an upshift and blip it on a downshift, after first backing off momentarily to allow the shift to start.

Downshifts need to be just a little slower (only a hair's breadth, mind you) to allow for the engine to rev up and match the speed of the shafts.

It's a practise worth trying occasionally.

Trevor G
  14. Clutches wear out through:

a) improper free play (insufficient, not too much)

b) excessive revs at take off

c) downshifting without matching revs before letting out the clutch

d) holding the bike on a hill by using the clutch (much more common in cars, though)

e) using the wrong oil (such as friction modified oils)

Clutchless gearchanges, even ham-fisted ones, are very unlikely to affect the clutch at all, unless it is very close to being dead anyway.

Trevor G
  15. Well some pretty good explanations there...

Clutch was good on the day, and after that it wasn't. ALSO must not have been adjusted properly, it was a old bike and i had worse things to worry about adjusting. Ah well.

16. It's all very well to practice cluthless gear changing but don't forget about the need to practice gear-changless clutching now and then as well.
  17. :-s @ Grey :LOL:

Trevor, what part of the drive train takes the shock and sorts out the rev differences of ham fisted clutchless changes then? :-k
  18. Unlike a car, most mulitplate wet bike clutches (certainly all the ones I have seen) do not have shock absorbing built into the clutch.

That is built into the final drive on most bikes - it's called a cush drive and is usually composed of rubber, shock-absorbing blocks connecting the drive sprocket to the rear wheel. That's the part that takes up when you shock the system - the clutch shouldn't slip except, as I mentioned, if it is just about dead anyway.

It's this very reason (i.e. bike clutches don't slip under sudden shock loading) that many modern sports bikes use a special clutch system to prevent sudden engine braking from locking the rear wheel, not to "save" the clutch itself!

Car clutches (and the very odd motor bike with a single plate, car-type clutch, but not the majority of them) usually have spring-based shock absorber built into the centre of the plate to reduce shock loadings.

All the best

Trevor G

PS Have you encountered many worn out motorbike clutches? Most of the wuns ;-) I have encountered are from:

1) Wrong clutch free-play adjustment

2) Wrong oil

3) Wrong clutch technique

PPS Did you ever report back on that car problem you posted many weeks ago?
  19. OK folks, it's ok to make ham fisted clutchless changes. You won't wear the clutch out at all, so mash away! The cush drive will do the rev matching for you as well as deal with the shock loadings. :) Trevor said so! :p :LOL:

Though I do agree about the other reasons for wearing out a clutch, you're kidding yourself if you think poorly executed clutchless changes won't take a toll on clutches and other components in the drive train. Perhaps not in the one session, but over time...

Regarding other question, nope, not yet. Filed points made no difference. Use of premium fuel reduced the dieseling though. It's getting a good professional going over shortly. I'll report results then.