Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

changing gears at right times

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by rthrelfall, Aug 21, 2006.

1. how ya goin, this may seem like a bit of a stupid question, iv recently purchesed a zzr 2001, i ride all the time, and was wondering how many revs should i been gettin out of each gear, i may be changing to early

not sure

2. Depends on your purpose: it's not necessary to go full-on all the time, and in fact going up through the gears on the ZZR and hitting the power band in each gear is going to see you in license-munching territory very soon. At the same time, there will be a low end rev range at which the bike will feel unhappy, under-powered and as though it's 'lugging': you should change late enough that you're already out of that range when you go into the next gear. In the final analysis it's more about feel than about saying something like 'keep it between 5k and 8k revs unless you're going hard in which case go to 11k' or whatever...
  3. What he said, I'll add~

Revs should be kept a couple of grand above idle at all times minimum.
    Bike engines are extremely high performance and do not like to run on lower revs, it's bad for engine life.

Asking a bike to produce power at very low revs, the engine can be lacking in adequate oil pressure, just not a good practice to keep revs to low on bikes.
  4. I'm on a ZZR250 and it really depends on what you're doing. When I'm commuting into the city each day for work I rarely rev the bike over about 10k, usually cruising at around 6-7k.. But when I was out for a blast on the weekend trying to keep up with my mate on a CBR600RR through the twisties I didnt drop below about 11k.. getting as high as mid 14's. I wouldn't recommend going below about 6k though because the power dramatically drops off and I doubt its good for the bike.
  5. Yeah it is difficult getting onto your first 250, particularly if you've been driving a car, cos the 250's love their revs and it just goes against everything you would excpect but keep those revs up in the 7's cos they way you will also have sharper throttle responce than if you were sitting at 4 or 5.
  6. I guess the other thing I'd add is that you needn't always be travelling in top: in a 60 or 80 zone you may be better staying in a lower gear where you still have some revs so that if you hit the throttle you'll get some response - if you're lugging along in top and something happens you'd have to take the extra couple of seconds to change down a couple before getting out of there...
  7. Dead right. When I first got my Across it took me ages to get used to how much you had to rev the thing to get it off the line!

I kept getting swamped by the traffic because I was changing up way too early.

Something like a ZZR or Across is a rev monster compared to a lot of bikes and any car. You don't have to redline your bike for every gearchange by any means, but nor should you let it "lug" or bog down. They like a bit of throttle! :wink:
  8. I was told by a dealer when i was lookin for my cbr that if i didn't get it up over 10k on a fairly regular basis, the engine would start to cease up n stuff.
  9. its true if you dont redline your bike once in a while, your performance can decrease due to crap build up on the pistons. my cousin has a zzr and he changes gear roughly at 6k rpm. you can feel the bike when you ride and u just know when to change. too early causes laggy performance and too late makes your bike goes off its tits. find a equilibrium.
  10. I find that on the ZZR it chokes a little around the 4.5 -5k mark, so i only want to cross that point once in an acceleration.

The bike definately gets it's peak power between about 6k & 8k but if you are going for flat out accaleration i would push just a little beyond that to make the most of it (Not more than 9k)

As has already been stated in this thread 6k is good for crusing around, even up to 7, but that is where it starts getting a little highly stung (See note about peak power)

The key is to ride in control of the bike, and sit above 5k and below 10k Then ride it how it feels right.
  11. Hey this may be a stupid question, but if i'm goin for flat out acceleration say at the drags or something, am i best to redline it in each gear, or shift earlier somewhere?
  12. the power drops off a little before redline (look at a dyno graph for any bike) you should be able to get a feel for it fairly easy so with a little trial by error your should find the perfect rpm to shift at
  13. I have a GPX, and it sits best between 8 and 13K. That said, I don't pull punches with my bike and the power is very sad after about 11K.
  14. No more then 9K.... Are you serious???...I find that the biggest kick in power comes in at 8-9K up to about 11-12K at which point it levels out/drops. Below 8K is just cruise around zone. At only 9K you still have 5K to go until the redline.
  15. "cruise around"??? At 8?? I cruise anywhere between 10 and 12...
  16. I am not saying don't use it, but it feels like the power is leveling off around then so time to go for the next gear, and it definately has very little power once it is out to 13 or so.
  17. Yeah, according to those 10-13 will max both power and torque, but torque is healthy from about 8 - so the advice above (except those saying to go all the way to redline every time) is pretty accurate.
  18. so looking at those graphs the torque dip from 9 to 11 is what i am feeling, though the power still appears to climb consistantly till 13.

Does this mean i need to loose weight?
  19. maybe it needs a good tune