Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Changing brake pads and rotors

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Zerby, May 15, 2012.

1. Hi all, I apologise if this has been covered in other threads but I've looked at quite a few and none of them fully answer the question.

Firstly, my rear rotor is pretty scored and in need of replacement and I'll change the pads at the same time. How easy is this to do yourself? I haven't worked on brakes before but I think I could handle it. Just wanting to know if I'll be getting myself in deeper than I think. What do I need to look out for/take note of.

Secondly, my front brake squeaks when braking so I guess I can change the pads at the same time as I do the rear. BUT sometimes there's also a kind of light grinding noise while riding at normal speed. I'm not sure if it's a warped rotor (I'll do a bit more troubleshooting to find out) but is this a huge issue?

Advice is much appreciated!
  2. Very easy to do. Make sure you have the correct tools to remove the disc bolts, they can be a bit of a pain, a bit of heat or an impact driver will help.

I'd say your front pads are due for replacement also, but it could just be the pads rubbing on the disc. This is normal to a certain degree, just make sure the pistons are free of dirt etc when you change the pads.

If the pistons are hard to push back into the calipers, it might be time for a rebuild.

Good time to change the brake fluid too, if it hasn't been done recently.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Cheers, MV. Might be a bit of a learning curve for the first time but I'm sure it will work out.
  4. As Mv said plus put a little medium strength locktight on the disc bolts when you put it back together ( not the caliper bolts though ) be a better idea to give them a slight smear of neversieze or similar.

Take note of where the wheel spacers are when you pull the wheel off, and how the drive rubber sits in the hub. Be so much easier to put it all back on later on.

Almost forgot .. crack open the master cyl cap and put a rag around to catch any overflow when you push the piston back, you dont want any fluid on the paint work , it an accident does happen wash off with lots of water .
  5. Don't worry, I'll be taking note of where every part comes out.