Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Changed my own oil today!

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by Caz V1, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Well, well well...aren't I a clever dick :grin: :p

After much reading and chatting to bike minded people, I finally got the courage to have a bash at doing a bit of my own maintenaince.
    I took myself off to the bike shop today and got the oil and filter, not as expensive as I first thought, $25 4ltr oil and $14 filter.

Took me all of about 30 minutes from start to finish :grin:

I'm so pleased with myself, I'll be doing more of my own maintenance from now on, it's not as difficult as I thought it'd be.

hmm..next project will be new sprockets and chain.

so for anyone out there thats been thinking about having a go at changing their oil themselves....its EASY!!! even a girl can do it :p :p

2. It's great doing your own work isn't it? I find teh best part is not so much the money saved, or the satisfaction of finishing a tough job, but being able to do it when it suits you( no organising lifts, picking up bike/car at end of day etc) and knowing you have actually replaced items, not just invoiced them as replaced!

Regards, Andrew.

3. :) There's alot of smaller jobs like that, that you can do, Caz. :)
    ie...air filter...

As you've descovered, ya just have to give it a go.

4. HOW do you change your oil?
    i went to a workshop course but we never got round to it in the lesson.
    i wouldnt mind saving myself some moohla too.
    any weblinks? :grin:

cheers linz :tantrum:

5. Well done, the XV/SRVs are easy to service and as others have said, you can save a heap. Onwards and upwards!