Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Change your oil occasionally

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Ljiljan, Aug 2, 2010.

1. While this is not an engine or engine oil, the same concept applies. In fact, if I were faced with the choice I would much rather have this in my final drive than engine *shudder*

2. Good. God.
  3. good god indeed.
    Well I just changed mine a few days ago and I used engine flush.
    Feels better too.
  4. Yeah water in the oil will do that.
  5. Yeah you can't blame oil longevity for that. That is water getting in.
  6. yuk...
    Looks worst than vomit.......
  7. It's not a 4WD that's been used for launching boats or other wading is it? Had something similar in the ack axle of a Land-Rover I bought once. A lovely mix of EP90 and seawater. Drained it out and left the pan for a few minutes, only to come back and find our pet goose drinking the revolting gunge with every sign of enjoyment :shock:. It didn't seem to do it any harm, but the eggs tasted a bit odd for a few days :LOL:.

Couple of oil degeneration stories, though no pictures unfortunately.

1. My mum's old Morris Oxford (BMC B-Series lump, can't kill 'em with a sledgehammer :D) did 150,000 miles without an oil change because, from 50k onwards it leaked (and later burned) so much that it didn't seem worth it. When we finally replaced the engine and took the original apart, the oil appeared to have separated into a layer of black sludge, about the same texture as grease with sand in it, that was several inches deep in the sump, and a light, kerosene like substance that was, presumably, undertaking circulation duties :shock:.

2. I bough an old XF Falcon lump for the ignition and fuel injection components, intending to throw the rest away. Out of curiosity I stripped it and found that the rocker cover was, literally, filled with a hard, grey/black flaky crap, in which each pusrod and valve spring had it's very own little tunnel. I suspect that all was not well with the EGR system as it had the air of exhaust deposits rather than straight oil sludge.

Ah, the joys of taking care of vehicles in their last stages of life :D.

8. :-s .......... :-s .............................. :rofl:
  9. We had chickens that would drink paint (linseed oil I guess) and eat wet cement too. The paint gave them the squirts and the cement would constipate them, although the calcium appeared to make the shells of there eggs very hard.

Oh yes, and goats that would regularly require the extraction of several feet of bedsheet that they'd eaten off the washing line. You could tell which bit had reached the first stomach 'cos it would be green..........
  10. Netrider. More than just a motorcycle forum.
  11. G'day everyone,...

I change the diff oil in my 4x4 with every 100,000Klm service both front and rear!
    Basicly thats getting changed every 2-2.5 years!

Dr Who?
  12. Ok for the people who don't recognise car parts...who's going to explain what that picture is?
    A blown engine with a mix of oil/water sludge?
    ETA: Gear box? *shrug*
  13. Looks like a diff.... or a toilet after a night on the curry
  14. Yup. Inside of a diff that's had water in it. The water comes in through the breather if the vehicle is waded, or can make its way past various seals if they're knackered. Then the action of the gear teeth mash the oil/water mixture into the visible evil brown emulsion which doesn't lubricate or protect from corrosion as well as it should. The gear teeth don't look too bad, but I doubt if the bearings have benefited much.

Interestingly, I own a number of Seagull outboard motors whose gearboxes are designed to operate on an emulsion of EP140 and water 'cos Seagull recognised, in the 1930s, that they couldn't seal them effectively and never updated their design.
  15. Doesn't look like enough ground clearance (wheel and sills in the bottom left) to be a fourbie, which makes it even more astounding. It's a fairly common thing in 4WDs that are actually used offroad, through decent puddles, bog, water crossings etc, or as mentioned to launch boats/jetskis.

Not sure how often a 'normal' car would get diff oil checked/changed - anyone got a service manual handy?
  16. Most cars never. Even if the manual says so.
  17. And, in my not inconsiderable experience, most are none the worse for it :D.
  18. Normally after you blow a diff and need to put more in...