Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Chance to register a custom bobber?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by Steve41, Dec 17, 2015.

Tags:
  1. #1 Steve41, Dec 17, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
    Hi guys,

I'm planning to upgrade (buy not to build) to a heavily customised Harley bobber. But reading the RTA requirements about what can be legally modified on a motorcycle I'm now not sure how all those bikes could be registered in NSW?

One of the main concern is that these bikes usually have custom (and loud) pipes, no mudguards, etc. that all violate the above policies.

Has anyone had experience with these bikes and how they are usually get registered?
    There are a few topics around the subject in the forum, but none of them has any solid answer.

And find it hard to believe that you have to convert the whole thing back to stock build when the rego is up, than remove them again.

Thank you!

2. I have had some experience with VERY modified motorbikes.

Basically, you need one or other of the Blue or Pink slips to get to register, or renew rego, on a bike in NSW.

Lots of garages and workshops have people authorised to do Pink Slip inspections, far fewer are authorised for the Blue Slip inspection.

Some of these people are more <cough> flexible and co-operative than others. ;-)

As for the lack of "solid answers", you'd hardly expect anyone to post up...."Oh, aye, go and talk to my brother-in-law, he'll pass anything for a slab of beer."

• Like Like x 1
  3. My blue slip guy on central coast doesn't care about loud pipes or other little stuff.

4. It doesn't really matter if you find a bloke to pass it, the cops will still defect you whether it's legally registered or not!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yes, that's what I was thinking too.
    Even if I get the rego, it's obvious that the bike is "not roadworthy" and Police will fine me every other day...

So I might just pass the idea with heavy heart and stick to my trusty (and road legal) DR650. :'(

6. But isn't that the whole point of these noisy "bad ass" Harleys?

For whatever reason, their riders just don't give a F@#$ about the cops or rules.

7. Hard to give a feck with a canary on your gay-blade, and you're riding biatch on your mates bike home!