Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Champions @ Oran Park 11 Jan

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by DarkHorse, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Hey all,

Just booked in for my first track day (finally!) - anyone else going to be there? I'm also in for coaching with RRPA.

I'm wondering what I need to do to prep myself/the bike - I have all my gear (leathers, boots, gloves, AS helmet) and the bike is easily roadworthy and in good nick. The girls on the phone said I wouldn't need to tape up lights or lock-wire anything, just either remove the mirrors or fold them in. Almost sounds too easy...

One concern is tyres - my Pilot Road IIs have done about 15,000km of mostly commuting, so probably a bit over 50% gone - should I invest in some nice sticky Powers or similar for the day? There is apparently tyre changing facilities at the track, but I wouldn't have the first idea how to change a tyre, so I'd be relying on someone to show me/do it for me. OR I could get the new tyres fitted before the day.

Also trying to decide how to get there and back - I'm coming from inner suburban Sydney, so the track is at least an hour away. If the bike doesn't need to be modded any I could ride it to and from, but I'm not sure how sore/buggered I'll be by the end of the day. It would also mean I can't take much in the way of extra fuel or tyres (see above, and Brownyy - NO!)

The other option, since the bike is my only vehicle and the missus drives a Barina with no towing facility, would be to hire a car and trailer - effectively doubling the cost of the day. OR do I buy a dirt-cheap 25 year old Vitara with a tow bar and then just hire the trailer? I'm actually seriously considering this option...

Lots to think about, and I'm probably over-analysing everything, but I'm pretty pumped already and it's still weeks away. Hope to catch some other NRs there!

2. Oh, Oran is my favourite track and you'll be doing the second last track day there ever so take a camera for photos in the pits (professional guys will catch you on track).

And don't forget to enjoy yourself!!!!

3. Thanks D1300.

- Will see how tyres are holding up in a couple of weeks.

- Will probably just ride there/back and top up the tank just before I get there, then scoot out if I need to during the day.

Can't wait!
  4. Im going on the 9th. You will have a ball. Dont forget to take as much water as you can carry.
  5. Thanks guys - have a ball I certainly did. Best thing ever! Anyone who hasn't done this should get out to one ASAP! While the vast majority of bikes were the race-reps, there were several 250s, a few VFRs, a KTM moto and a Thruxton out there, so anyone on pretty much anything can do it.

Water was definitely a good tip - the day started out oversact but the sun came out mid-morning and the temp just kept rising. I went through 2 litres of water and 2 Powerades over the day.

Speaking of balls:
    Not bad for a first time?

Have to recommend RRPA for the coaching too - how else are you likely to get Wayne Maxwell (3rd in this year's ASBK by a couple of points) looking out for you all day? And Stewart Winton of SW Racing (suspension tech to Kawasaki last year, Wayne on a Honda for the coming season) for the setup and advice.

Got the bug now - looking at the creek Australia Day... Pity Oran Park is gone now, it's a great little track and a lot of fun.
  6. Track days can be addictive, eh? And, yes, Oran is such a great track to ride.
  7. was ...

Probably already being dug up now :( There were already houses built up to within 100m of the end of the straight. The guys running the day were trying to get a volunteer to cartwheel their bike into the first house, setting it on fire that would then spread to the others. No-one put their hands up.

Seriously trying to find an excuse for the Eastern Creek days on the 25th and 26th... need a day to work on what I learnt at my own pace.
  8. It was V scary whatching the Six Hour bikes heading down the main straight at full clip when there are houses just off the end of it. Almost made it look like a street circuit.
  9. Good for you to get out there before it's gone.

The last few years there's been a lot of mostly justified criticism of the track's safety but it's still my favourite.

Make sure you book very soon for EC as it'll fill up overnight.

Edit: your tyres look good too!
  10. Wayne is pretty cool to learn from. I had a session at Broadford with him.
    The sad thing about those nicely balled tires is that after a little time on the street the will be scrubbed smooth again.
  11. Yup, those pics were the day after, and the centre 2/3 are already smoothed right out.

Just have to go and rough them up again!
  12. Talk about roughing up - pictures of Oran being ripped up here. Not sure if this is a repost but I thought it belonged here more than in multimedia.

A very very sad moment for any who've raced there.
  13. That's a whole lot MORE than disturbing..
  14. That is really sad. All that history.

So am I right in thinking that the Creek is now the only functioning bike track in the state?
  15. Not sure about that:nopity:
  16. Are you joining the long line of troublemakers who only post whinges and whines in the Racing Forum? If you have nothing constructive to add, and only want to argue with what people post, the exit door is over there ---------->
  17. No....not at all....its just that I raced their often and my opinion of the circuit is not high....as far as circuits go.:cool:
  18. IIRC Alan Horsley was the general manager in my day......what a unit he is.....do you remember him?
  19. No, there is also Wakefield Park and Gary Willmington's little track outside of Marulan. But Wakefield is tied up to the same greedy monopoly that now controls bike racing at Eastern Creek so access to it is severely restricted.
  20. A great track to ride!!!.....why do you say that?....What other tracks did you ride?:rolleyes: