Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by StereoHead, Jan 10, 2006.

1. I'm going to replace my chain soon, and since I only moved to Aus recently i was wondering what kind of Price I should be expecting to pay for a new chain for my 03/04 ZX6R...

In the past I have always gone with standard chains... are there after market brands that are better? I would prefer one with gold links for posing factor... but that is not essential...

2. RK and DID are 2 names that come to mind when speaking of chains,prolly be looking at between $200-$300 depending on what ya get and where from :wink:
  3. I just paid $189 for a 525 chain for the Hornet
  4. Including new sprockets (recommended) you're up for $350 to $400, I don't think a gold chain is more than about $50 on top of that.
  5. i think the one you have seen is the regina gold .... not cheap
  6. Over here everyone always replaces the sprockets when they buy a chain, in NZ they dont.... They pretty much replace it every 2nd chain....... Weird.... Im sure its safer to replace each time... but... is it overkill? I had a look at my sprockets earlier and they look ok.... still nice and square on top etc...
  7. As I understand it, when a chain needs replacing it's usually because a couple of the rings have given up, causing tight links that won't bend freely with the chain's travel around the sprockets. This causes alternating tight/loose spots in the chain.

The tight bits cause overheating which buggers up more of the o-rings, and the loose bits ride up and down the length of the sprocket sides, wearing them slightly as they go and you end up with a slightly hooked side on your sprocket.

A great article here:

Either way, sprockets are cheap and you nmight as well replace them. It also gives you the chance to downgear your bike to assist with crap wheelies.
  8. So $320 fitted (chain and sprockets) is a decent price?
  9. What brand and model chain?
  10. I got a DID X-Ring (yup it has the golden links and meant to be better than the O-Rings) and JT sprockets when I had my service for a 2001 CBR F4i I think off the top of my head it was about $189 for the chain, $75 for the sprockets and about $100 worth of labour to fit. Mind you I did get it done when I had a major service so I guess the bike was already in pieces..
  11. DID X-Ring
  12. since your talking about DID chains, are they good quality or what?
    I'm looking to get one real soon...
  13. forgot to add they are o rings i'm looking at
  14. Yeah I need to replace the chain on my GPX250R,

I had it up on it's centre-stand and was tightening the chain, and found it is real slack in some places, and tight in the others... Meaning I get a sort of jerky effect.

Can you get red chains for it do you reckon? (Sorry I don't know much about bikes except for how to ride 'em)