Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Chains....O ring or X ring?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by deafwish, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Whats the difference between an O ring and an X ring chain?
    As standard, would my Hornet 600 have the O or the X ring chain?
    Any advantages/ disadvantages of using the other type?
    Thanks again all!
    Daz. :wink:

2. I belive the loobe stays a little bit longer on an Xring...

OEM chains are usualy O rings...
  3. O-Ring chains are harder to swing around your head than X-Ring, but they leave a bigger mark when they hit!!! (old Pommie Bikie proverb)
  4. :shock:
    You should be a mechanic!
    That's some damn fine technical jargon you have goin' there! :p
  5. Good work Marty! Thanks.
    Does this mean you don't have to lube the X ring as often as an O ring?
    What km range should i be waiting between lubing (the chain....) on normal dry road riding?
  6. wot 'e said

As long as you lube any chain it will last longer, stretch less and keep the lube inside. Modern chains are remarkable, but they aren't indestructable!But go for the best quality one you can afford.
  7. all chains need to be kept lubed, the o-rings keep the lube in place for you so as not to fling off, a dry chain wears pretty quickly.
    you wouldnt need to lube your chain more frequently than every 500 kays.
    the X-ring chains would help the chain last longer if your prone to 4getting to lube it, because they distort better while keeping the lube behind them longer.
    ive only ever bought one cheap chain and it stretched very quickly, so never again. As for a good o-ring, i just recently got 40,000 out of one and i didnt look after it as well as i should have. So i can expext another 40,000 from the new one, but i wont have the bike that long.
    > martyh and rc36honda summed it up <
  8. If you look at Marty's earlier post with the two pics.
    O ring chains only seal at one point on each suface of the side plates they are between.

X Ring seals at two points thus increasing the seal integrity between the chain side plates. This prevents dirt and grit getting into the inside of the chain, hence longer life.

When oiling an X Ring chain, oil the rollers of the chain where the chain comes from the drive sprocket to the rear sprocket (where you see the chain under the swing arm) part of the chain between the two sprockets, oil to the rollers on the top part of the chain here. This encorages the oil due to centrifical force to go through the chain rather than straight off it. Helps to keep the back wheel cleaner too.

Golden rule to oiling a motorcycle chain is to "oil less"" more frequently" than, "oil a lot"" less frequently".
    When you over oil the chain, excess oil will attract more dirt and grit to the chain, increasing wear.
    I have always oiled my chain when I look at the chain from behind the bike as it sits around the rear sprocket. If the rollers between the side plates are a matt grey color it doesn't need oiling, when the rollers are shiny it needs oiling.
    If I am touring I will always bring lube with me and oil the chain at the end of each days ride.
    It is always better to oil the chain after a ride when the chain is hot, It thins the oil allowing it to penetrate into the chain more effectively.