Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Chainging chain - wheel alignment

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Farab, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Well, I have decided to buy a chain breaker and riveter tool and do a chain chainge myself. I am fairly confident to do the job, made a nice stand for the bike as well. The only thing I'm worried about is getting the wheel inline properly when putting it all back together again. Just make sure the set screws are wound down evenly? Any tips regarding this and the whole job?

2. Measure the distance from the swing-arm pivot to the rear axle on both sides. It needs to be the same (obviously) allowing for any offset in the arm.

It is an accurate method to determine if the marks/dots/lines on the adjusters/swingarm are correct.

If I had a dollar for every incorrectly stamped swingarm or adjuster I've seen, I'd have $3,673.50.
  3. Thanks mate. What sort of accuracy are we talking about, realistically, within a mm of each other? Any other pitfalls or tips for the job generally? Riveting?
  4. Or do the string thing - very accurate and very easy :D
  5. .50c? So there was one you weren't quite sure about?8-[
  6. I use common scense so far when adjusting the chain and it works well. Will try this method next time to see how far away.