Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

chain

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by adnan12, Jan 5, 2006.

1. does a chain HAVE to be PERFECT to pass a roadworhty? just wondering...

2. Note sure about the chain but this is what I'm sure of:

*breaks
    *break disc not undersized
    *plenty of tyre tred

Don't know what else though.

3. Nope. It would help if it was in one continuous piece.

4. And you gave ME the Fido award!! You just can't help yourself, can you? :LOL: :LOL:

(nice one! :grin:)

5. :LOL:, but seriously :grin: , does the chain need to be in perfect condition to pass a roadworhty?

6. Again, nope!

I've had bikes pass RWC with filthy, slightly rusty chains. That's why I say I think they probably just look to see if there's one there at all.

Jump onto the VicRoads website, you'll be able to find all requirements of a RWC on there.

7. Yeah but don't you go to peter stevens to get your bikes roadworthy? What if I happended to go to a local mech. that roadworhties both cars, bike and even trucks?

8. Well what are you looking for mate?

1) You can pass a RWC with a dodgy chain, they don't ride your bike as part of the inspection and I don't think it's one of the checking points to make sure every link is flexible. It'll only show up when it's moving.

2) RWC aside, if your chain is crap, replace it or you may cause damage to the rest of your bike... Rear wheel bearings come to mind for some reason!

So if you want a RWC, yeah you'll get one. If you're keeping the bike you oughtta replace the chain. If you're selling the bike it may not be worth doing unless it'll make the thing harder to shift.

9. No, a worn chain will pass. If the wheel turns it will be fine. I've seen them passed covered in rust. I'd be replacing chains for safety reasons well before I worried about it passing roadworthy. :wink:

10. I'm gonna keep the bike, and the chain isn't that bad, it's still got a few thousand k's left, I just wanna get it registered ASAP...and then I will get a new chain and sprocket as soon as possible