Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Chain vs gear driven cams - wsbk

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by Ljiljan, Oct 26, 2010.

1. While it's not particularly new news about wsbk going to chain driven cams, whats the issue with putting gear driven cams in, and why dont manufacturers go for it on their road flagships? They are complaining about the rsv having however much more power yet they can't be bothered to do the same. By the sounds of it the aprilia has a pretty reliable engine, havn't seen it go boom to often. So what's the problem with it?

2. No problem. Honda had gear driven cams on the NC 30, NC 35, RC 30 RC 45 and on the pre 800 VFR's. (RC 36) All street registerable bikes.
    I believe they are more expensive to manufacture and run a bit noisier than chain driven cam engines. The advantage is that they hold absolute precision in cam timing at max revs and for the life of the engine.
    Another + is that they make removing the cams to replace shims an absolute breeze. And I personally like the whine they make as you spin the engine up.
    I think the main reason the other manufacturers won't follow is simply cost.
  3. And yet there has been a procession of spotty yoofs here on NR complaining about how they cannot abide such a noise. It offends some delicate ears, apparently.

The problem is the RSV is too good.
  4. I love mechanical whines in engines/gearboxes. Each to their own I guess.

5. Holden Fanboi.
  6. As long as I know what it is and that it's meant to be there.

Ducati dry clutch clatter is the classic example.