Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Chain too long

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by thecptn, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Other day I got a new 520 o-ring chain for my bike, problem is, the thing is too long for my bike, by the way, guy behind the counter looked it up and gave me this set, so im a bit confused now on how to make this shorter, im a diy sorta guy, so im keen to learn and do it my self, any pointers? right now its just hanging of both the sprockets.

2. Buy a longer bike. :LOL:
  3. Put a mobius twist in it.

Should in theory double the life of your chain, too.
  4. You guys are pulling my chain *boom tish* :LOL: :roll:
  5. No, that might make it longer. :p

No more jokes please. It could start a chain reaction. :LOL:
  6. I don't get the link....
  7. Stop it both of you, cant you see the chain of events in this thread already?
  8. :LOL: at nil_orally.
  9. seriously though...how do i get the chain shorter. :?:
  10. You need to take it back to the bike shop and they will remove a couple of links from it for you. It involves grinding the ends of a couple of pins and I wouldn't recommend you do it yourself.

Make sure when you take it to the shop that you ask for the Head Mechanic, because you need to start at the right end of the Chain of Command :LOL:
  11. maybe they can... ex-chain-ge it...

BAM... :) i knew you all loved it
  12. LoL thanks hornet mate, ill def will do that now. I guess my problem was linked there. :LOL:
  13. All you need is a 4 inch angle grinder,(Cheapo Gmc does the trick) bench vice (to hold the chain while you grind away), A center punch and a hammer.

oh and an extra pair of hands.. (this helps when the bloody center pin does not want to come out)

its fairly easy to do. but im also with hornet take it to the people who know..
  14. shorten it yourself. it's not hard. decide how many links you need to remove. position the the rear axle with plenty of room for adjustment later on. check twice to make sure the chain will reach comfortably. better to err on the long side and cut twice than to cut too short.

i use a powered angle grinder. grind heads off the rivets on the link that you will cut and discard. its fine to grind into the link plate. either grind really quickly or take a few breaks to avoid getting too much heat build up. once the head is totally ground off and you cannot distinguish it from the link plate metal, punch the rivets out or punch out the backing link plate. it you don't start to see the rivets come out then grind some more. it's a 10 minute job the first time but it'll take you less than half that once you'd done it a few times.

grease the master link and orings liberally. make sure to use 4 orings for both rivets on both sides. connect the chain and fasten the circlip. make sure the open side of the circlip faces towards the rear of the bike. the closed end should point forward to the direction of the chains movement. this is to prevent the circlip flying off the chain if it gets caught on something.
  15. I do have an angle grinder and it doesnt seem to hard a job to do, I kept the old chain, and can use that as a guide, another thing I noticed, is the new chain is quite stiff all over, even though its coated in lubrication from the factory, is this normal? (forgive the noobish question, first chain change)
  16. Yes... perfectly normal for the new chain to be "stiff"

With the old chain... count the links this will give you a good idea how much to cut off the new one...
  17. ah sweet, many thanks.