Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Chain tension issues...

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by bambam_101, Oct 23, 2006.

1. I adjusted my chain myself for the first time yesterday. Its a pretty straight forward thing to do but today i realised that somehting wasnt quite right.

I adjusted it with the bike on its side stand and on level ground. The book says 30-40mm of slack in the chain which is exactly how i sdjusted it. Problem is that when im on the bike, just sitting on it and taking up some of the suspension travel, the chain is wayyyyy too tight. She wont even budge a few mm. What would cause this? The wheel is tracking straight, according to the indicators on the swingarm. Bike rides fine but am a bit worried about how tight it is when im on the bike. soon as i jump off and check the chain, its back to the right tension again?

Any ideas?
  2. There may be a tight spot in your chain.

Best to check prior to adjusting, then adjust it at the tightest point.

Debate rages over whether or not to adjust on sidestand or with someone on bike.

Works better with a little weight on my bike.

Maybe you just adjusted too tight, once the slack starts to come out of it, very small increments on the adjusters make a lot of difference.

Do it again :)
  3. What jbot said. Of course if there is a tight spot in the chain causing it to be within the ideal range at one point, but extremely tight at another then it means it's time for a new chain.
  4. Seems like you've got the type of bike that needs to be adjusted with someone on the bike.

alternatively adjust it so it has more slack when riderless.

rider weight effects some bikes a lot more than others. it all depends on the geometry of the swing arm pivot compared to the centrline of the front sprocket and their relationship to the ground.

Also be careful relying on the marks on the side of the swingarm to ensure the wheel is square.

Mine are 1/4 notch out. Apparently some are more so.

String-line the bike and set it up once and then adjust by the same amount each side from then on.
  5. may be a stupid question but what is the technique for string-lining the bike? Ive seen it before but unsure of exactly how to do it.

I will back the tension off a bit on the chain tonight when i get home. Then sit on it and make sure its ok. PS told me there should be approx 5-10mm slack in the chain when im sitting on it. may need to be 40-50mm slack when on the side stand.

6. I check wheel alignment by measure the distance betweeen the rear swingarm pivot and rear axle. Should be the same on each side - make sure you're measuring from the centre of each bolt.

Not sure how this compares to the string line method (it assumes the swingarm pivot is straight, which i think is fair, cause if it isn't, wheel alignment is the least of your problems!) but it seems easier to me.

7. Very new to this... but one good trick I found.. before tightening the wheel, stand on the right hand side of the bike,, hold the bike up right (with the side stand), lean your body weight on the seat and check the chain tension..