Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Chain streching

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by sunite, Nov 29, 2008.

1. i recently installed a new chain into my motorcycle, withoutt replaceing the sprockets, and found out the strech on the chain after less then 100km of riding needed to be tightened up, should i replace the chain and sprockets again or is this normal for wearing a chain in?

2. Hey mate,

Don't quote me as I am still fairly new to the mechanical side of riding.. but I am under the impression that it is fairly normal for that to happen. I believe a lot of it is also due to how hard you are ringing its neck (eg fast take offs from the lights and the like).

Wait for more responses from the pros!

3. How worn were the sprockets?
    If they had wear the chain will stretch to fit them. So the more wear the more stretch.
    Any new chain will stretch a little but a re-tension after 100k seems extreme. You didn't over tighten did you?
  4. +1

Sounds silly .. BUT , the rear wheel is tight right? ie it hasn't moved forward? Check the indicators on the swing-arm
  5. Why didn't you replace the sprockets as well?
  6. You should always replace the Sprockets with the Chain. The Sprockets are the cheap bits.

It is not too late to rectify your mistake.