Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Chain/Sprockets bedding in?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Bravus, Feb 19, 2014.

1. The mechanic who replaced the chain and sprockets on the Bandit said, as I was leaving, 'Go easy for a while, give them a chance to bed in '. A search here yields nothing on this topic and neither does a google. Is this a thing?

2. That's a new one to me... Then again, I'm lucky to get 10K out of a set, maybe there's something in it.

3. If it's a low grade chain it'll stretch and need to be readjusted within a few hundred km, I wouldn't call that bedding in though

4. RK chains and good quality sprockets, keep it lubed and adjusted you'll have no issues. But they will still need adjusting after a couple hundred km. I've never bothered with my new bikes, just lube and adjust at first service, normally check chain smack before every ride.

5. Yeah, will definitely check it. Got the heaviest-duty chain and sprocket set available. Guess I'll just launch at 30% instead of the usual 40-50 at lights for a week or so...

6. 525 or 530 chain?

7. A chain and sprockets are a simple mechanical drive system. Like all mechanical systems, when parts are replaced there is a "bedding in" period. That doesn't necessarily mean usage has to be different, it just means that newly manufactured parts will always change shape slightly on their wear faces as they adapt to each other.

8. 530 and XV... something... ;)