Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Chain self oiling system

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by junglist, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Does anyone use scottoiler or another similar self-oiling system for their chain?

seems all the go in other parts of asia for the commute crowd and i'm wondering what its like for aussie conditions.

are they a gimmick? does chain wax work better/last longer?
  2. I've seen them on a few bikes in the past. I can see it being an advantage if your doing a trip around Australia or something like that. Saves carrying a slimy can of chain lube with you?
  3. bit of a waste for a commuter then?
  4. Although squirting oil on the chain is not classified as a fun job, it is a good way to ensure you're regularly doing a "visual" check of your bike (making sure all the important bits are still there and nothing is loose).

If your a commuter, I cant see any real advantage?
  5. I have had people tell me they have done in excess of 40,000k's on heavy bikes and still chain is within spec. There is always good reason for Preventative Maintenance.

But I do agree as mentioned, as long as regular visual checks are not lost in the process.......