Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Chain replacement Honda VTR250

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by xfghia, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Hi all

I have been reading through pages and pages of information and searched this forum and I still can't find an answer to my question.

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to mechanical stuff/jargon and am still coming to grips with terms like non ring, o ring chain etc.

I'm wondering if this chain will be suitable for my 2003 Honda VTR250

Thanks in advance

2. cheap and nasty,
    i wouldnt touch it. ive heard a few storys of people getting chains on ebay. they stretch alot......

stick with a well known brand, and x-rings are the most preferable.
    (o'ring is good, but x'rings better. and stay clear of non-ring, they are just an heavy duty chain, the rings are there for lubrication. so no rings = next to no lubrication. these chains are used in off-road, low wear applications where there size is an advantge (narrower chain due to no rings)

peter stevens have DID 520 x ring chains for $89
  3. As previously posted, get a good one to start with and it will last a lot longer than the cheap ones. DID or RK

Also change the sprockets if doing the chain. JT Sprockets.
  4. Dont buy cheap shit chains its false economy.RK,Did Or EK are the recomended brands.I personally prefer EK